Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Thursday Personal Update: We're Staying!

11:25 a.m. -- Please do NOT read the exclamation point above as anything that I'm bragging about - at all.

I landed at Intercontinental Airport this morning at about 8:45 a.m., got my bag, got in my truck and headed out. The scene at George Bush was chaos. The longest lines to get out that I've ever seen including the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Before I go any further, my biggest concern at this point is for my sister, Holly, who is heading to Dallas with her two daughters (my nieces) that are 1 and 6 years old. (Interstate 45 North was a parking lot and word hadn't been confirmed that they were going to open up the southbound lanes going north from 1488 to Buffalo.)

My parents are staying in Spring (in the Birnam Wood subdivision) and my brother-in-law is staying at their house. My in-laws may come here or head out to my father-in-law's brother and sister-in-law's house in Waller (if they can get there).

The biggest concern here is the wind. There was 36 inches of rain with Tropical Storm Allison in June of 2001 and we barely had an inch or two in our yard. They've done a lot of building, but they've also done a lot of building of retention ponds going north towards Spring Steubner (for those of you who know the area).

We've done an assessment of how our house sits (in regards to north-south). And knowing that the winds will come from an east-northeast direction onto it, we are doing our best to secure items away from those outer walls that could suffer wind or structural damage.

When I flew over Highway 59 North just south of Humble, it was an 8-lane parking lot going north and radio reports had the fact that people had been on 59 for eight (8) hours with little movement.

With reports that the storm will track to east has taken a little bit of the pressure off, we are getting our house ready to be prepared for anything that may come about. Keep us in your prayers if you read this and we'll do the same for all in the Gulf Coast area, regardless of where they are at.

1 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home