Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Dad does 8.85 in Bloomington

After taking yesterday off to rest and recover a little bit, I gave up on the Astros in the 8th inning as they were behind 5-4 to the White Sox in Game 3 of the World Series. It was time to go out and hit the road.

The last two weeks I have carried my running shoes and gear up here not to even put them to use. And as the evening wore on, it appeared as if week three was about to set in. However, I know that I need to take it easy, but still continue to get some good quality runs in before shutting it down next Wednesday.

The game plan was simple: Run as far out as I could while feeling comfortable and have enough to make it back. The verdict ended up being 8.85 miles - according to the HARRA map tool by Geoff Guenter.

I left the hotel at about 10:20 p.m. and ventured east towards downtown and the Indiana University campus. I ran east on 3rd St., which branches off and becomes W. Kirkwood before ending at Indiana Ave. I turned right on Indiana Ave., heading south and then proceeded east again on 3rd St. From here, I ran by a number of campus buildings on the north side of the road for the next half mile or so while large sorority houses where on the south side of the street.

The map measured 4.406 miles out and 4.441 miles back for a total of 8.847 miles. Call it 8.85!

Time going out: 47:46.42 / 4.406 miles / 10:50 per mile
Stop for traffic: 34.87 seconds
Time coming back: 50:34.79 / 4.441 miles / 11:23 per mile

Total: 1:38:21.21 / 8.847 miles / 11:07 per mile

And with the exception of having to yield to traffic, I ran the entire way.

Temperarture getting started was a balmy 39 degrees (feeling like 36) and the run ended with an improvement to 41 degrees, according to weather.com. The course started out at 867 feet above sea level and dipped to 747 feet at mile 2.5 and climbed back to 847 feet at just before the mile 4 point. Bloomington isn't exactly flat!

Good run overall. I'm pretty pleased. Didn't have a cardio problem at all. The cool weather was excellent and I could tell the differences in times coming back was due primarily to my legs, but I ran all the hills/inclines.

I needed a good relaxing run that felt like about a 7-8 on the extertion level.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
That's the kind of reports I like to read. You put on the shoes and just did it. You are probably not looking for a race this weekend but if you are I recommend Deer park Goblin Gallop. Keep up the effort.

6:56 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Lance,

I thought about that last night a little bit. 11 minutes per mile is a 4:46 marathon - PR is 4:55:03.

I have to stay close to it the whole way through, but that 30K that I did out at Terry Hershey three weeks ago suggested that I may be able to IF I slow it down at the beginning. Those 5K's were 34, 35, 34, 35, 35, 37. That's 3:20. If I slipped to 37, 39, that's 4:36 or even 39, 41 in the last 10K, that's under 4:46.

We'll see. I'm told people don't PR there, but I don't have a lot of marathons under my belt either.

Thanks,

Jon

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home