Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Pre-Rocky Raccoon 25K This Morning

It's 4:45 a.m. and I'm a few minutes away from getting a quick shower and off in the truck to head to Huntsville State Park for the Rocky Raccoon 25K. This will be the first big trail event that I've ever done. (I guess the ones in Flagstaff and Albuquerque were OK, but this will have over 300 runners either doing the 25K or 50K. I think from the results last year about 70% did the 25K. That's me!)

When I've run the trails up there with Ken Johnson, Jan Parks, Robert Duncan, J.C. Guzman, Len Hill and Chris Wilson from the Seven Hills Running Club, one of them likened running the trails there to almost doubling the mileage in effort. Not sure if that was a little bit of exaggeration, but they've been running them for a lot longer than me so I'm sure that they know that pretty well.

I had some things to take care of yesterday around the house and with work, but I got off to the gym late in the afternoon and kicked in an hour on the elliptical machine (5.79 miles ... a bit more than Tuesday night). As I was getting a couple of pieces of toast with peanut butter this morning and staying hydrated, I thought back this morning to last week's effort at the Huntsville Half Marathon.

I felt like I ran pretty well. What I recalled compared to all of the other half marathons that I've done is that my cardio seemed to be better the entire way through, unlike all of the others in the past. And even those the splits with the hills make it hard to gauge a consistent effort, I felt like I ran consistent the entire time. Therefore, a 2:20 where two weeks before I was at 2:31! Who knows? I think this is often an ongoing continuous lab experiment.

All right. Enough rambling. Time to run! More to report later on Saturday - plus Run The Woodlands 5K #140 results!

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Good Luck Jon!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

can't wait to hear about it!

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home