Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Monday Night Run: Bloomington, Indiana

My running last week was fairly easy, including the 10.3 miles that I did on Sunday with Waverly. (Make sure that that comes out right. The miles were important, but they were tougher for her than me. And if they weren't tough for her, she's sandbagging on me!)

I normally don't run on Monday nights because it is a travel day and I've probably run a race (or two) on the weekend; however, I had a very constructive comment made to me about the frequency of my runs per week as it related to me maintaining or improving my fitness. (I'm listening!)

I've got all kinds of things at play in my life right now. Therefore, dealing with some of those, it took me until 11:10 p.m. to get out the door and start my run. I decided to mix things up a little bit and headed another way once I got out on 3rd St. here in Bloomington, Indiana. (I stay at a Towne Place Suites that is situated along what I would consider to be a Farm-to-Market Road in Texas. A little like FM 1960 used to be before they went to three-and-three lanes. Therefore, nowhere I run is optimally safe. I have to keep a constant look out for cars; however, I love running late at night because most times I can run right in the middle of the lane on the street.)

In the first mile, I passed a bank clock that said 49 degrees. (Much better than the last bank clock temperature that I saw while running -- 68 degrees coming off the Pulaski Bridge in NYC at mile 13.5!) It felt colder because there was a good steady wind.

I packed to run in the cold this trip. I had on track-like sweat pants as well as a short sleeve technical shirt covered by a long sleeve race shirt and my XL "Love the Half" finisher's fleece which was zipped up around my neck. I'm not a big gloves person so I use socks to cover my hands. (Although tonight, I may have to relent as it was 36 degrees out at 1:15 p.m. this afternoon.)

During the first 2.5 miles, there is only a 40-foot elevation loss (even though a good bit of it seemed like a very slight incline.) Just after mile 3 on what becomes 2nd St., I climb 85 feet in elevation gain over the next .8 miles. The only time that I walked (other than to stop for traffic lights and oncoming traffic) was just short of the top of the hill. Really burned me up because I ran over the Verrazano-Narrows!

I would redeem myself in a little bit as the course dipped back to 773 feet (the elevation comes from the HARRA map tool) at mile 4.4. After a half mile slow climb back to 805 feet above sea level, there comes a fairly sharp hill that gains 50 feet in elevation. Needless to say, that one I ran.

Good run. I felt relaxed and kept it nice and easy even though I got some good work in.

5.84 miles, 1:05.49, 11:16/mile pace
http://www.harra.org/Route.asp?MapID=669

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jon,

I'm an IU grad as well as a Houston runner so it's always fun to read your blog - I feel like I'm back home again. Personally, I recommend ending your runs at 423 E. Kirkwood - http://www.nicksenglishhut.com/ - LOL! One of my old stomping grounds... Actually, I lived in an apartment off-campus off 13th Street, west of College Ave. and used to run the roads close by without too much trouble but that's not exactly next door to where you stay.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home