Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Waverly Caps Off Weekend With 10.3 Miles!

The schedule said 9 miles. Therefore, our target running time was 2:15 or 15 minutes per mile. (I don't want to set a target for Waverly any faster than that given that this is the first time her legs are handling this distance.)

Waverly and I ventured out at approximately 6:40 p.m. and started on our normal 2.1-mile loop course but added two stretches to it that would take it close to four (4) miles - almost exactly the same distance that Lance Collins and I had run Thursday night.

After we were done, I got in the truck and measured it to be 4.1 miles! Therefore, two (2) 4.1-mile loops and one (1) 2.1-mile loop equals a whopping 10.3 miles! (Actually, I thought that the 4-mile loops were going to be under and that the additional 2.1 would put us a shade over - not 1.3!)

Waverly ran/jogged about 90% of the first loop, 80% of the second loop and about 50% of the last loop. Not shabby at all! She did great! Here are what the time splits looked like:

Loop 1 (4.1 miles) -- 57:11.61 -- 13:57/mile (1:45.78 break to take on fluids)
Loop 2 (4.1 miles) -- 58:53.95 -- 14:22/mile (1:59.66 break)
Loop 3 (2.1 miles) -- 30:29.15 -- 14:31/mile

Total (10.3 miles) -- 2:26:34.71 -- 14:14/mile

The only drawback is that Waverly's right ankle has been bothering her of late and that flared up before the last loop. She put some ice (actually some nice packets that Steve Schroeder gave me) on it once she got back inside.

Earlier on Saturday, I completed a rainy Run The Woodlands 5K #142 in 29:21.51 while Waverly did so in 40:48 - her 3rd best of 12 career 5Ks. (She's four RTWs away from being the youngest member of the event's 10-race club.) Doing so allowed the two of us to be part of 43 career runners to do the Thanksgiving Day 5-Miler in The Woodlands and Run The Woodlands 5K on the same weekend. My time splits were as follows:

Mile 1 -- 8:55.83
Mile 2 -- 9:37.77 (18:33.60)
Mile 3 -- 9:53.36 (28:26.96)
Last .1 -- 54.55

Final -- 29:21.51 (9:28/mile)

Actually though, this was one race that I could have done better.

I was a little gassed after a fast first mile. When I hit the mile 1 marker (blue dot!), I needed to take a quick walk. Debbie Tripp, who I frequently run close to or with in these races, passed me at the mile 1 marker and she knew that we both nailed a fast first mile.

I immediately came back and passed her, but she held tough. We stayed with each other like Tergat-Ramaala through the 1.8-mile spot where I took a couple of steps advantage, but she refused to yield. Even though I was on a close to PR pace, there was a twinge of humidity in the air, mixed with the rain, that mentally influenced me to simply back off at the mile 2 marker. I took another walk break and she opened up what proved to be a 17-second advantage at the finish (29:04 to 29:21). I really missed an opportunity to attempt some race tactics for over a mile and I never had the energy to kick to try and close the gap as Debbie usually starts slower and finishes off fairly solid.

Unfortunately, I think that I did this on Thursday at the mile 3-mark of the Run Thru The Woods 5M when I registered a 9:21/mile pace. To be honest, I think I was spoiled with the weather of the weekend before when I posted two really good races in the 10K in Missouri City and the half marathon in Austin.

In closing, congratulations to Vera Balic of the Bay Area Running Club, a good friend of a good friend of mine, Shelley Stephenson, who registered a 1:41:17 half marathon earlier today in the Harris Direct Seattle Half Marathon. Balic, who bypassed the Chicago Marathon earlier last month because she didn't feel as if she could do it as well as she wanted given her training, ran the half today with incredible consistency -- 7:45/mile in the front 10K and 7:43/mile in the back 6.9 miles, according to the event's web site.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cris said...

I can't tell you how heartening it is to read about marathoners who are as slow as I am and not worrying about it! Though I've gotten a little faster since my first marathon, I have yet to tackle a second and fear that if I don't get some awesome training in this winter, Nashville will be a very VERY slow marathon. I like reading about back-of-the-pack runners like myself.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home