Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Waverly posts a 1-mile PR today of 10:42.91!

Each year, Waverly's school has a mile run in the spring as part of their overall physical fitness program. And in the fall (or early winter), they do a "practice" mile run at Meyer Park in northwest Houston near the intersection of Cypresswood Drive and Stuebner-Airline.

Her fifth grade class was the first group to do their run this morning at 8:35 a.m. So Waverly and I got there at about 8:15 to 8:20 a.m. and we got out there and ran to the 1/4-mile post just to see what her pace was going to be like. We covered it in 2:29. (We walked back and what I should have done was a slower pace going back to see what 3:00 or 2:50 was going to feel like.)

Her times last year were 11:56.96 (in January) and 11:36 (in April). So I set a target for her last night of 11:00. I felt that this was reasonable and the idea was to try and go 3:00, 2:50, 2:40 and 2:30 in the four (4) quarter mile splits. So when we got there and she did the first one in 2:29 as a warmup, I thought like she'd be able to handle it.

Before we started, I checked with her P.E. teacher, Mrs. Young, to find out what the targets this year were for a 10-year-old girl. The "presidential" time was 9:19 and the "national" time was 11:22. I knew, unless she got hurt on the path, that she'd make it without a problem.

As I mentioned in January's report (which also was the first time Cassie ever posted a comment on the blog), all of the kids go off like gangbusters. Some treat it seriously and do well and there are others who could finish it a minute or two sooner yet they just aimlessly walk parts of it, etc.

Waverly went through the first quarter mile at 2:29.60. I'm thinking "hmmm ... a bit fast". (In the truck coming home, I'm also thinking "hmmm ... wonder who she gets that from.") I made the comment to her that she did great and had some time in the bank.

The next quarter mile she handled pretty steady, but took a quick walk break before the halfway point and logged a second quarter mile of 2:48.21 for a half mile time of 5:17.81. (I remembered a time that there was no way that I could do this!)

Quarter mile #3 was a bit more of a struggle. Not sure if she was gassed or not, but she walked a bit more and posted a split of 2:56.02. (We put off her 8.5 miles on Sunday because I wanted her legs to be completely fresh so she could do well here at school!)

Then with a little bit of a push from Dad, she focused and cranked off a 2:29.08 split (the fastest of the four) for a finishing time of 10:42.91! (For new readers to this blog, you need to know that Waverly's between 5'2" and 5'3" and probably 120 pounds perhaps.)

1/20/05 -- 2:53.34, 3:02.99, 3:12.10 and 2:48.53 -- 11:56.96.
11/22/05 -- 2:29.60, 2:48.21, 2:56.02 and 2:29.08 -- 10:42.91.

Last year, at the Anadarko Run Thru The Woods on Thanksgiving Day, she did the mile in 13:30.5. (Dad remembers it was really cold last Thanksgiving - although not the 28 degrees it was on Christmas Day - and she didn't take to it real well!)

(Dad, meanwhile, ended up getting three loops in of 1.33 miles for a total of 4. Even though I took yesterday off, my quads are still a little beat up from the weekend. So I'm not sure what else I'll do today or tomorrow before Turkey Day's Run Thru The Woods 5M in The Woodlands. I have two targets. My course PR is 49:45.1 and my 5-mile PR is 47:06.7 (Park to Park Run in February). And unlike Park to Park and Saturday's 10K in Missouri City, you have to cross the 45 overpass twice! But I think Dad's done enough hills here recently to handle it!)

Evening addition: After picking up our packets at the YMCA in The Woodlands, I went to Bally's and did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer (2.67 miles) and 30 minutes on the stationery bike. I was going easy on the trainer, but I also began to get light-headed. So I got some water, got back on to try another 30 minutes and I found that I couldn't get more than about 3 minutes in without wondering whether I could finish it or not.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Way to go, Waverly! what a great time!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

awesome! you go girl!

11:15 AM  
Blogger David said...

Nice job Waverly! What a strong finish. My 6th grader Benjamin will be doing the 1 miler at the Run thru the Woods (and me the 5M). We'll look for you there.

4:04 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

Great job Waverly!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

Way to go Waverly!!!!!! I bet it's them new Asics shoes you got. It's helping you break PR's all over the place. Of course, your hard work helped a bit too...

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home