Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Knight Flight for Humanity 10K Race Report

Cool weather rocks! For those Houston Running Bloggers doing the Run for Tulane Med 10K on Sunday morning, here's a time for you -- 58:45.45!

Thanks to Lance Collins of the "Great River Running" team (yeah, I saw that in the 20K Relay results last night) for putting me on to this event this morning. I ran really, really well and I'm incredibly pleased! But the cool air really allows me to breathe as opposed to sucking in the humidity. Without it, I was able to blow through all of the water stops and keep moving.

This course was out in the middle of nowhere down off of Highway 6 in Missouri City just beyond Fort Bend Elkins High School was sweet! Flat as can be! The only negative is that the road had a funny camber at spots, but it certainly wasn't a big hinderance at all.

Plus I ran this race pretty much by myself after those for the 5K dropped off at their 1.55-mile turnaround. So it was a good feeling to just be able to put together a run like this without a pacer (which is what I had on the back half of my PR race, the Mardi Gras Beach Run 10K in Galveston in January).

Here are my mile splits (I pretty much hit my goal to be as close to 9:30 splits to be able to get under an hour today):

Mile 1 -- 9:10.23
Mile 2 -- 9:26.32 (18:36.55)
Mile 3 -- 9:30.43 (28:06.98)
Mile 4 -- 9:41.88 (37:48.86 - technically, a PR! - 39:42 at FWRC club event in June '04)
Mile 5 -- 9:24.12 (47:12.98 - 6.18 seconds shy of a PR from Park to Park Run in February '05)
Mile 6 -- 9:43.19 (56:56.17)
Last .2 -- 1:49.28

Total -- 58:45.45 (16.05 seconds off PR race from January '05)

The red-headed princess made the trip with me and really enjoyed wearing my NYC Marathon race jacket, which I shed before the start! I had the pleasure of watching the 5K winner, Kingwood HS' Danielle Selner sprint by on the return as well as seeing On The Run Racing's Raymond Cruz leading the 10K coming back in (and eventually winning it!)

Collins and his other "Great River Running" teammates, Brian King and Steve Schroeder, finished 2th, 4th and 5th, respectively. Anne Ekern and Suzy Seeley went 1-2 in the women's side and 6th and 7th overall.

I got a chance to visit with Houston Strider John DiMarco, who was at the high school to see his son, Ryan, play freshman basketball for Elkins in a tournament at 8 a.m.

Small group. Lots of high school kids. Great cause as all monies are going to Elkins High School's Habitat for Humanity Project. Fort Bend Fit had excellent representation (and they'll be in full force at the 30K!) The race got off to a little bit of a late start, 8:15 a.m. It only would have been bad if it got significantly warmer. Plenty of water stops. Fluids and a good food spread at the end of the event.

This one is an event worth doing again!

Waverly and I stopped and had breakfast at IHOP along Interstate 59 on the way back home. Now it is time to update the web page, get a shower, relax, watch Penn State beat Michigan State to go 10-1 and get to bed early for the drive to Austin for tomorrow's Motive Bison Stampede.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Nice run Jon!!! :)

8:37 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

good run jon!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

way to go Jon! I wouldn't have caught you today either :)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lance,
You forgot to tell Jon that he left the after race party too soon. Jon, they called your number. Luckily on the re-draw they pulled my number.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Steve-that's funny. ;)

Hey way to go, Jon. I wanted to go but was too sore still from Thursday Night's jaunt at the colllddd park...maybe next time!
-Jessica

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home