Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Weekly Workout Information

(The Woodlands, Texas; Thursday, November 17th) My plane from Indianapolis landed a little late and therefore, caused me to rush to get to the gym so I could get in a decent run on the treadmill. (For some reason, I didn't want to go outside because the runs around my house are a little boring.)

They've got four new machines at the Bally's in The Woodlands so I tried one of them. My plan was to try to go an hour, start at 5.0 mph and up it .1 every 5 minutes. Well, this one's 5.0 is a different than the other's 5.0 mph - or I just didn't have a "quick leg" night.

I went 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.2 and 5.3 for the first 30 minutes. I got off the machine, went and got some water before getting back on it for 20 more minutes. I repeated the 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 for the next four (4) 5-minute segments.

50 minutes. Better than nothing. I plan to try and get up early (yes, I hear you all chuckling!) and hit the elliptical machine for an hour early in the morning before doing a 10K on Saturday and half on Sunday.

My goal for Saturday, with some cooler temperatures, is to get under an hour again. It may be a tall order as I'll have to average around 9:30 per mile to make it happen!

(Bloomington, Indiana; Wednesday, November 16th) The weather here in Indiana has been crazy.

Monday night, it was cold, windy and raining.

Tuesday afternoon, tornado sirens were blasting throughout Bloomington and the hospital and all of its buildings went on "Code Black" meaning that all personnel should retreat to interior hallways.

Tonight when I walked out of the office at 5:40 p.m., it was 31 degrees and there were snow flurries in the air. It is supposed to get to 18 degrees tonight.

So ... at 9:00 p.m. Eastern, I took my long sleeve shirt (I already had a long sleeve technical running shirt on), socks to cover my hands and ventured just outside to see if it was OK to run outside. (I just had my normal running shorts.) Too cold! So it was into the cheap workout room of the Towne Place Suites here to run an hour on the treadmill. Not my favorite venue, but it had to be tonight. I couldn't go a third night without any physical activity.

What made the run most palatable though was that AMC was showing one of my favorite movies of all time, "Smokey and the Bandit."

I never really track miles when I run on the treadmill. I ran an hour and I upped the pace .1 every three (3) minutes. I started at 4.0 mph and ended at 6.1 or 6.2 mph. (Somewhere around 49 minutes I lost my ability to multiply by three!) Good run. Totally soaked. I'll see how I feel in the morning to possibly do another 30 to 60 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

the dreadmill is more interesting that outside in your neighborhood?! Hehehe! That's funny. I'd rather run around in a circle outside than submit to the dreadmill!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home