Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Friday Night Thoughts

You know you are an addicted runner when you have a sheet of paper with the dates of the next 12 weekends listed out!

Actually, I have to map out my work travel plans, my own running plans, Waverly's training until "Half Marathon Day" and her basketball on Saturdays through the first of February (which includes me refereeing). I got the schedule last night when I got in (and 7 of her 8 games start after 12 noon, but their season begins Saturday, December 3rd!) All of which makes life fun!

A short aside: I was looking at Waverly's pictures that Karen Thibodeaux shot at the Bearkat Bash in mid-September and realized that she has only grown maybe another half inch, but has slendered out quite a bit with all of the work that we've/she has been doing.

I thought about doing the White Rock Marathon on Sunday, December 11th; however, there is NO way that I could do a marathon, drive back to Houston and then get Waverly's miles in. However, I'm giving serious thought to doing the Texas Marathon in Kingwood on New Year's Day. On the plane ride home last night, I'm thinking "If I can do the first loop in 1:08 for 6.55 miles, hold it and then slip no more than 5% in the third loop and 10% in the fourth loop ...."

For her, since that weekend will be her biggest mileage of 11 miles, we'll probably forgo Run The Woodlands 5K on Christmas Eve to do the Longest Long Run downtown. We'll probably start a half hour early so we don't hold the mobile water stations up! I really think it will be a good thing for her to be on the course and to come back to Allen Parkway and know that she can get there and only have a couple of more miles to go. Stay tuned to see if that all plays out!

As far as the Texas Marathon goes, I really hate doing any course that has multiple loops; however, $35 for a marathon is hard to pass up and it will force me to keep pushing through the winter months (as if I was getting ready for Houston two weeks later). Therefore, this means that I "might" do the 30K on Sunday morning, the 11th (after doing the Bloggers 5K the day before in The Woodlands). I hate that course too! Three long loops! But they are a bit more scenic than Memorial Drive though.

Off to shower and into bed before getting up and seeing Lance Collins, Steve Schroeder and no telling who else (Sarah, set the alarm!) in the morning at the Knight Flight for Humanity 10K in Sugar Land!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

"sarah set the alarm"

Ha!!!

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home