Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What's On Your Wrist?

I'm not real big on watches. Once I pick one, I usually stick with it until it dies.

I was reading a serious, yet lighthearted post on Rick Cook's blog, Geaux Running, about his Timex Ironman watch dying. (Psst ... Rick, I'm sure you didn't see Penn State passing LSU in the BCS this week. JoePa's back and PSU football is fun again!) Anyways, it's a good read from a guy who is passionate about his running!

The Striders' Steve Shepard would always be surprised during the latter part of last year that I would wear my dress watch while I ran. I, of course, knew that a "real runner" has a watch that can do all sorts of fancy things such as splits, etc. I didn't feel like I was there yet although I was definitely making strides.

Before the Houston Marathon, I was doing some shopping with some Christmas and birthday money and was looking for one of the Garmin GPS units. I had read a lot of nice reviews, but was kind of unsure about the foot piece as well as how reliable it was up in my part of town (with a lot of trees ... well, for now.) When I went to Luke's in The Woodlands, one of the saleswomen (I know her to see her but I don't know her name) actually talked me out of it.

I languished until right before the Marathon; however, I bought a Timex Ironman watch and I haven't been happier since. It worked wonderfully during the Marathon (and since) and I was able to see and recall exactly what the time versus the amount of perceived effort (and allowed me to start analyzing where and what I was doing.)

The dress watch? Well, it's still in my laptop bag for work.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hey Zeus said...

As much as it hurts me to say it but Penn State should be number 3. LSU'S loss to Tenn is the difference.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

hey Jon-
just curious to know which Timex watch you have (model #).
thanks!
jessica

10:57 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

I have a Timex Ironman 30 lap soon to be replaced by Santa with a Polar RS200SD.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I've got a Polar, a basic version. I'm not sure it even does splits -- if it does, I've missed the feature.

12:04 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Jessica,

It is the Timex Ironman 50 Lap. There are no other markings on the watch. Other than to say that it is water resistant to 100 meters.

Jon

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're disadvantaged in the Strider Marathon Training (SMART) program if you don't have a watch with a countdown timer as a lot of the workouts we do used timed intervals of hard running (30 seconds to 5 minutes) with timed recovery. Fortunately, essentially all running watches have a countdown timer. And, as we train in groups, if you don't have one somebody running near you probably does and will shout "start" and "stop" if they have the breath.

Steeeve

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home