Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, December 26, 2005

17.1 Miles with Team In Training - The Woodlands

Not too often you can go out on a training run and have your run pictures available, but that is the magic of Houston Running reader and "running community" contributor for Team in Training - The Woodlands and Luke's Locker, Bill Dwyer.


Bill has been so gracious to include me on his weekly Team In Training e-mail each week and I saw that a number of runners were going to be doing their 21 miles this weekend. Some even on Monday. I know that I have the Texas Marathon in Kingwood coming up on Sunday, but I needed to get some miles in.

Bill teamed me up with Melinda Tosoni (on the right) and we belted out 17.1 miles, according to Bill's calculations. (She's a veteran of 4 marathons, including NYC finishes of 5:17:12 and 5:41:23 in '03 and '04)

The Woodlands is really a nice relaxing place to run and yes, there are some slight hills towards the back. I was once told that, but went like - "yeah, right!"

We did a long loop of 10.5 miles and then a smaller interior loop of 6.6 miles. How long did it take us? I have no idea (as I forgot to hit my watch) nor, on a nice, cool morning like today, do I care. It was about just simply logging some miles! I definitely felt strong through the first loop (despite a pressing "blue can" need -- well, Shadowbend Park restroom!)

I was good through about halfway of the second loop when some of my hydration issues kicked in plus we really ripped through the 10.5-mile loop (not fast enough to keep up with the 8-9 minute milers, but at the type of pace that I did early in the 30K). I cannot repeat that on Sunday. I have to slow down at the beginning of that marathon and not try to PR through the front half.

With all of the friends that I have in the running community, I continue to be fortunate enough to become acquainted with even more runners. Bill introduced me this morning to some excellent runners in Tony Allison (a veteran of 70 marathons), Pam Meaux and Mary Kershbaum (who went 1:37:47 and 2:00:44 this year in the 10-Miler and 20K).

I think often times that people equate all Team In Training participants as newer or beginning runners and/or marathoners; however that simply isn't the case.

(Bill, thanks for having me out there this morning! I enjoyed it immensely. I'm very excited about the Team In Training event at Run The Woodlands 5K #146 on Saturday, January 28, 2006. I sincerely hope that we can break 100 for the very first time!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're very welcome and we appreciate all you do to help the running community get noticed. I'll see you Sunday at Kingwood.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

I too am excited for the RTW. I cna't wait to do TNT again. I don't know if I'll be running or doing a biking event, but it is a great group!

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home