Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

December Reader Participation: Bill Dwyer, Spring

I believe that if you are not blessed with the gift of effortless speed and you go out work hard, race and help yourself and others around you get better with your/their running, that earns you a label of passionate.

Bill Dwyer easily falls into the category.

Bill, I think, has forgotten more about the sport than I'll ever learn, which is a good - well, great - thing. I'm sure that I bumped into Bill a number of times before May's "going away" party for Don Drewniak at Luke's Locker - The Woodlands, but it was there that I really got to know Bill (and have enjoyed his friendship ever since.)

Bill has been actively involed with Team in Training for years and is putting together an informal Team In Training competitive event among the six (6) local groups at Run The Woodlands 5K #146 on January 28th that I hope will see us break 100 runners for the first time ever! (That day, I believe, is going to be super fun and I may go over and do the 3M Half in Austin the next day!)

I'm still hoping that Bill finds his old "1960 Roadrunners" newsletters that I might be able to get into .PDF files and get on the walksports.com web site.

Here's Bill's December Reader Participation contribution:

I would call 2005 the “Year of the Pacer,” which actually began with the 2004 Sunmart Texas Trail 50K. I didn’t do very many events this year and in every one of them I paced someone (or a group). My top nine for 2005 are as follows:

Number one – my late Tuesday night run with my daughter every week. Two easy miles….easy for her anyway. (Editor's note: This was at the bottom of Bill's e-mail ... I moved it to the top - I’m walking her down the aisle at 3 p.m. on December 17th The new son in law doesn’t run ….. yet. -- JW)

December 2004 – Sunmart 50K – paced for an 8 hour finish – time 8:03:20. Kerry Roffe (Kingwood TNT) must have had her chip on a different foot as she finished in 8:03:19.) (Bill, you and me - Sunmart 50K, December 2006. It's on the calendar.)
Jan 1, 2005 – Kingwood Marathon – paced for a 6 hour finish – time 6:05:21
Jan 9 – Arizona Rock-N-Roll Marathon – official time limit pacer for the event. Goal was 7:15 gun time, finished 7:15:48 gun (7:09:57 chip) with about 100 very happy first timers around me. There is a longer story about Arizona as I took a bad fall the morning of the event before the race started. I looked pretty beat up at the finish.
Mar 26 – Run The Woodlands 5K #126 - actually ran my slowest 5K ever finishing in 37:36. Paced Sarah Steele until she decided to sprint the last 100 yards, Dave Gentry (Fleet Feet) kept me company….Dave and I pretty much don’t sprint anymore.
Nov 24 – Run Thru the Woods 5 Miler – I volunteered to coach the Luke’s Locker “Up Beat” walking program that targeted this event. We opted to walk the 5 mile event (not the 3) and I paced the walkers to 1:24:22 finish. (Bill: And I saw some happy faces that day too -- JW)

Other Highlights

CB&I Triathlon – Second year as a run course marshal.
Light the Night – The Woodlands – Help organize the volunteers for this first time event in The Woodlands
Team In Training – Coached (along with Tracy MacEwan) several runners and walkers to first time marathon or half marathon finishes. I was lucky enough to travel to Alaska in June for as one of the official Texas Gulf Coast coaches for the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon. (Blogger Erin finishes her first marathon in 50-degree rainy weather.)

Inspiration -- I’m constantly inspired by many people. I started running in the early 1970’s because of my high school wrestling coach who ran every day. Current inspirations include all the runners and walkers I help to their first events, the veterans who keep it going year after year, the folks who volunteer at events and the coaches of all the various training programs around town. I will say that Jon Walk is sparking the “want to get fast again” bug in me.

Goals for 2006

Community Goals - After the Team In Training (TNT) Reunion Run at the Jan 28 RTW 5K, there will be some changes. I will be more involved in growing the Luke’s Locker Beat program for 5K and 10K runners and will hopefully be able to bring running and walking as a fitness activity to more people. There will be an open to anyone Saturday morning run as a courtesy to the community, no fees. We will have water/Gatorade supported routes…..location TBA – (most likely Shadowbend Park). TNT Woodlands will be in good hands and I will still support the program.

Personal Goals – I turn 50 in a year. I hope to spend 2006 actually getting into some sort of shape for 2007. I plan on running the RTW Series a lot more (can Waverly get to the 10-race club before you get to the 20-race club .. ha! ha!) and hope to have a quality effort at the Sunmart Texas Trail Run. Longer term I’m thinking Boston in 2008-09, I did qualify in 1989 and I think it would be cool to do it again 20 years later. Other than that … have a lot of fun and meet some neat people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home