Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

December Reader Participation: Vincent Attanucci, The Woodlands

One day in early October, after the Komen Race for the Cure 5K, I got an e-mail from a gentleman in The Woodlands who had been reading my blog but noted that he found out about his official Race for the Cure result in my blog post before seeing the official results! (It was because he had formed a work team that included some folks who regularly run Run the Woodlands 5K that I knew!)

I've gotten to meet Vincent, 52, now a number of times since then (and probably a few times before but didn't know it). But the biggest reason that I like Vincent is that he's a Penn State grad, class of '72! Yes, we still love JoePa and "We Are ... Penn State!"

Next weekend, Vincent will be trying to punch his Boston Marathon ticket with a nice effort at the White Rock Marathon in Dallas. Here is Vincent's responses:

Top ten events in 2005:

1.) Every evening run with my son (we call ourselves the night runners)
2.) Huntsville Half Marathon (I beat my goal pace and wasn’t even winded at any point during the race – have never before felt that level of fitness, 1:36:30, 3rd AG)
3.) Run The Woodlands 5K #140 (breaking 20 Minutes, 19:38, after 26 5K races)
4.) Bearkat Bash 10K (1st place age group; 42:49.5)
5.) Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure 5K (2nd place age group; 20:44.05)
6.) Run The Woodlands 5K #121 (1st race in January, 20:17, personal best)
7.) Thanksgiving Run thru the Woods 5M (33:54.1)
8.) Austin Freescale Marathon (4:01:02.4, thoroughly hot and sick but I ran through it and finish) You beat the governor by 5 minutes! -- JW
9.) Every 4:00 a.m. morning run by myself (I spotted a grand total of four other runners all year)
10.) Every other RTW (9 of them ... Vincent is one away from the 20-race club)

Inspiration? "I pretty much run for myself and my family, testing myself and enjoying the ride."

Two unfinished goals for this year, of course:
+ Qualify for Boston in Dallas next week. To add a little drama I decided to sprain my ankle last week. It’s slowly healing and of course I can’t convince myself to rest it.
+ 3,000 miles for the year in my logbook if I stay on schedule. Somehow I can't quite believe that one!

And next year:
+ A Penn State win in a BCS game (Editor's liberty!)
+ 1st ever Houston Marathon
+ That trip to Boston
+ Then I’ll sit down and write some new goals

Vincent, thanks for making contact this year, participating in this exercise, being an encouragement and, of course, go take care of business in Dallas with a 3:35:59 or better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home