Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

December Reader Participation: Joe Carey, Houston

It is the e-mail that I got from Joe, who I haven't met in person yet (but I will), that inspires me. It is knowing that there are individuals out there who, whether they have a blog or not, are doing the same thing that I'm doing - catching the running bug and enjoying it!

Joe wrote: "I enjoy your blog, the effort you must put into it is as impressive as a marathon. The least I can do is answer your request. I started running off the couch this year in March via an online training club. I wanted to run in the Bolder Boulder 10K race in Colorado, which was held a few days before my 50th birthday. In doing so I have caught running fever."

So my top ten 'events' for 2005 are as follows:

1) Law Week 8K, April 9, 2005 - First race of my life. (49:49.0)
2) Bolder Boulder 10k, Memorial Day, Boulder CO - Well organized wave start for 45000, Frank Shorter the starter for every wave, finishing kick in the stadium, achieving my goal of under 60 minutes.
3) Maribelle's 5K, August 6, 2005 - Thrilled by the continuous improvement of a beginning runner and just a sweet (or should I say sweat) event in Seabrook. (24:55)
4) Boulder Backroads Half Marathon, September 25, 2005, Boulder CO - Second major event I trained for, negative split to plan, great unpaved roads and scenery. (2:06:09)
5) Training run in Half Moon Bay, CA, July 14, 2005 - Beach, trail, and road run very inspiring
6) Reindeer Run 5K, today December 3, 2005 - Personal best 5k (OK only third one ever) (23:52)
7) HMSA Classical 25K, November 13, 2005 - The madness of running so far, definitely in oxygen debt the final few miles, crawled home. Nice windshirt. Next stop Sugarland in December. (2:35:43.7)
8) Training run (On the Run 7 mile route) Clear Lake, July 24, 2005 - First ever mosquito induced pick-ups, one way to get those intervals in.
9) On the Run 5-Miler, May 8, 2005 - Great energy soaked in from fellow runners pulled me through. (47:02)
10) Training run (2 x On the Run 7 mile route) Clear Lake, November 29, 2005 - Felt good over all 14 miles, astonished. As long as the legs move, there is hope.

Inspiration: I run for my family and they inspire me in how they handle their own challenges. I have also been inspired by my cyber coach, who I have met face-to-face only once, and the discipline of running to a regime and recording a training log against that regime for the coach to review online.

Goals for 2006: 1.) Run my first marathon on January 15th. It is way too soon. 2.) Run the Bolder Boulder 10K at least 10% faster in 2006. 3.) Apply for the New York City Marathon and who knows? 4.) Travel to a half marathon in a nice location. 5.) Maintain my beginner's joy and motivation

Joe, thanks! I took the liberty of adding your times in blue! Congratulations, keep up the good work and I'm sure that I will get a chance to meet you soon - and thanks for reading my blog!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home