Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Pearland Fitness Solutions Jingle Jog 10-Miler Race Report

Wow, even the title was a mouthful!

The two themes of the morning are: We all ran well and event management on this one was severely challenged (although, I'm sure, well intended.) Today, "we" included Striders Barry Chambers, Karen and Tim Bowler, Lance Collins and Steve Schroeder, Strider/HRBer Jessica Alexander and HRB's (via BARRA) own, Edwin Quarles. (I can't tell you how much fun an event is when you 1.) run well and 2.) have your friends around to enjoy it with you.)

Lance Collins (1:04:33.2) and Karen Bowler (1:14:48.4) were the overall male and female winners. Steve Schroeder (35-39, 1:08:37.3) and Barry Chambers (60-64, 1:26:58.2) won his age group and Jessica finished second in hers (25-29, 1:34:00.7) while Edwin (1:12:42.7) and I were out of the money in 4th and last in the 35-39 age group. (Jessica ran really well once again as her training is really, really paying off nicely. Jessica, congratulations to you and to all!)

Not sure when we'll see the official results on this one as who I presumed to be the race director made the comment at post-race ceremonies that the results would be available on "active.com." I don't think results can be posted there.

I spoke to the folks at Run Wild, which now includes Striders' Juan Arrieta, and they told me that if an event's race director(s) gives them the OK, they post it straight to Runner Triathlete News' web site. However, they explained that the event will want the results to post on their own web site first. Then that is where they send it and that means that people like myself have to e-mail the race director to make the results publicly available. (They need a lesson in media and public relations.)

Other runners included:
+ Audrey Christiansen, HARRA Treasurer and Finish Line Sports member, 1:18:13.1 (Masters winner)
+ Ursula Spilger, 1st 65-69 women's, 1:30:33.1

You're asking yourself, "Well, how did Jon do? He said he ran well."

I did. I was really pleased given the fact that 1.) the race didn't get started on time (which may have caused it to be warmer at the race's end and 2.) it was 70 degrees and humid. (Although there was a nice cool breeze until just beyond mile 9.)

Today's race was a PR in every sense of the word. I've never covered 10 miles faster! My watch time was 1:41:41.40 and the chip time was 1:41:42 while the gun time was 1:41:56.

Previous 10-Mile Event Best -- 1:49:31.2 - USA Space City 10 Miler, 10/3/04
Best 10 Miles in a Half -- 1:42:22.33 - Big D Texas Half Marathon, 4/3/05

(During the Drake Relays Half Marathon in Iowa 4 weeks later, I did 1:42:54.06 in upper 30 degrees temperatures. So, to top it in the conditions that I did today plus the fact that I had an hour massage last evening, I'm really happy!) My splits were as follows:

Mile 1 -- 9:18.70 (ran with Jessica)
Mile 2 -- 9:46.63 (19:05.33, ran with Jessica)
Mile 3 -- 10:07.03 (29:12.36)*w
Mile 4 -- 10:13.06 (39:25.42)*g
Mile 5 -- 10:16.41 (49:41.83)
Mile 6 -- 10:28.40 (1:00:10.23)*wg
Mile 7 -- 10:24.60 (1:10:34.83)
Mile 8 -- 10:18.69 (1:20:53.52)*wg
Mile 9 -- 10:30.85 (1:31:24.40)*wg
Mile 10 -- 10:17.00 (1:41:41.40)

*water stops (w-water, g-gatorade)

As you can see, I ran pretty consistent. The first two miles helped me bank a minute to keep it from being over 1:43; however, there was no way in the conditions today that I could keep that early pace more than that or go without hitting the water stops. (More of my training runs are dry runs, but I know that I can't go on a race day where it is either hot or humid without.)

This is why I think on a cold day and a flat course, I can be very close to 2:11 for a half marathon. :)

Best story of the day from me comes just past mile 7 (after the water stop about .2 into the mile), I started to employ a technique Stan Timmer at Luke's Locker shared with me about trying to overturn my feet quicker. (As I did it and by keeping my head up and shoulders back a bit, I found that I could maintain my pace and take a little bit of a breather.) No sooner I had done that and passed a gentleman that was hugging the curb on the left (as I was running towards the middle of the road), he decided that he was going to pace off of me. Pfft! Yeah right! Not today!

At the next cone in the road, I experimented with a little fartlek that I learned in Power in Motion while running in Memorial Park with the light poles. For two cones, I went hard and strong and then the next two (2), I backed it off and used Stan's technique. I did this for about four or five more series of cones until I had dropped him after passing through mile 8 as well as the turnaround towards mile 9.

After crossing the finish line, I had some "knowing" glances from some runners (not that gentleman though as I didn't even see him) who were trying to keep me in their sights. :) Gotta love it!

I think I can tell you what it is. There are some people out there who don't like to see a bigger guy ahead of them. They're thinking, "There's no way that I can let that guy with some extra weight still get the better of me."

Event management issues included: 1.) No T-shirt for runners late registering, 2.) long line for packet pickup and all volunteers not sure of their responsibility - communicaton on both parts, 3.) lead motorcycle cop was gone after the start causing one of the front runners to go off the course, 4.) many others, never having a chance to even say the word "lead", were off the course and 5.) the chip for the runner that finished behind Lance didn't take.

Positives? More than a fair price for a 10-Miler. $23 online registration. Nice T-shirt. (Haven't tried it on to see if it fits or not yet.) Water stations were very well-manned and those folks were super friendly! Kudos to you!

For me, it was career event #140, event #60 for 2005 (will break my 2004 mark next weekend) and the 34th Texas city that I've run in (66 more to go)!

6 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

Great race Jon.
Nice seeing you again. Looking forward to next week's RTW 5K.
I was able to hold off a runner behind me too. Speeding up and backing off a little a few times does help.
FYI - the results were on RTN when I checked a few minutes ago.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

WAY TO GO, JON! You ran so well today. I was glad I was able to run with you for 2 miles. It really got me to relax into the race and I am glad it helped 'save you' a minute or so towards your PR! And most of all-it IS a great thing to run with friends! See you next weekend!
-Jessica

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Nice run Jon!!

We may have been near each other in the marathon, but you're kicking my butt these days! :)

5:52 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Jon, you are kicking ass these days!! Way to go!!!!!!!!! It's gonna take a lot more than an orange shirt for me to be able to catch you now! I'm going to need roller skates or something.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Way to go Jon! I agree with Cassie your kickin it!

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lance,

I think the leader of a race staying on course is a shared responsibility. If you're at all in contention it is YOUR responsibility to know the course, just like it's your responsibility to run a tactically smart race and so forth. We watched Joe Flores win the Uptown 5k Turkey Trot a few years ago easily. No, wait, he missed the last turn and finished fourth or so. Too bad, Joe.

A good race won't let that happen. I had the lead police car gig at the Koala/Luke's 20k for years. The old 20k course had a few turns towards the end. We always pulled up alongside the leader at 12 miles and advised "turn here, turn there blah blah blah, you're on your own now, we're turning off".

Make no mistake, though, you won the race yesterday fair and square - CONGRATULATIONS!

Steeeve

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home