Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Some 2006 "Want to Do's"

It is Thursday afternoon and I'm getting ready to head south back to Houston after a couple of fun-filled work days in Bloomington, Indiana. (Yes, the town is a little basketball crazy again after IU gave #1 Duke a challenge last night in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.)

I have a couple of updates coming. They include:

1.) Overdue on results from the Foot Locker South Regionals from Charlotte, North Carolina this past weekend. The biggest news is that Spring Westfield's Nichole Jones won the regional and will be running in the Nationals on Saturday, December 10th in San Diego.
2.) I read on the way up to Indianapolis Monday morning Dick Beardsley's book from 2002 (although new to me and purchased over the weekend), "Staying The Course". Excellent story and an easy read!
3.) Marathon and Beyond's November/December 2005 edition named the Chevron Houston Marathon its second best North American marathon that it has rated out of 54 (not titled New York City, Chicago or Marine Corps.) The article is linked off of the Houston Marathon web site.

Thanks to LisaLeese, Rick Cook and Joe Breda who have sent their "reader participation" items in, I'll be posting them soon. Again no rush! (In fact, Lisa has posted hers on her blog!)

As far as 2006, primarily, I just want to keep running injury-free and having fun with my friends!

Here, though, are some things that I'd perhaps like to do this coming year:

1.) Do a couple of races (on the same weekend) in the Rio Grande Valley!2.) Do a couple of races (on the same weekend) in the Texas Permian Basin!
3.) Find another back-to-back Saturday/Sunday half marathon combination in the spring!
4.) Do three half marathons in four days over the Thanksgiving weekend, beginning with the Atlanta Half on Thanksgiving. (This may negate Sunmart!)
5.) Apply for the La Luz Trail Run in Albuquerque on Sunday, August 6, 2006.
6.) Apply for Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, Minnesota on Saturday, June 17, 2006.

La Luz? If you are going to do a tough one that is doable (not something that you'd have to do an adventure race to do), might as well try the toughest one.

Grandma's? Yeah, I know. I said "no more big events!" But I just checked that they only had 6,888 marathon finishers and 4,828 half marathon finishers this year. No bigger than Houston plus somewhere I read that Dick Beardsley is going to run a marathon again for the event's 30th anniversary and what might be his 50th birthday!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

After seeing Lisa & Joe's lists on their blogs, I did mine. It's on my blog. I'll email it to you tonight...

1:43 PM  
Blogger David said...

A few "running resolutions" sounds like a good idea...and thanks for reminding me there is life after the Houston Marathon in Jan....I'm thinking about the
Bluebell Fun Run/ on March 25 1M/5K/10K that Holden mentioned (if not just for the ice cream!)

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home