Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Tuesday Night Run: Bloomington, Indiana

I broke down.

I invested just under $3 at Wal-Mart for a hat and a pair of gloves and ventured out in 32 degrees weather at 10:30 p.m. to get in a 6.95-mile run in 1:17:38 for a 11:10/mile pace. (If I had wanted to spend $6 for a hat, I could have had a nice Nascar hat with the numbers of my favorite driver. Do you ever think that they'll eventually convince Danica Patrick to switch one day from the IRL?)

One of the individuals who commented on yesterday's run is also a recent addition to Houston's running bloggers. Her name is Barbara Boone and her blog can be found at http://blog.barbaraboone.com/. Barbara stated that she is an IU grad and is the only one that may appreciate the following detail of the run. :)

I headed back west out of the hotel, crossing over State Road 37 and venturing to Liberty Road before turning south. (The bank clock tonight was a bit different. It wasn't 49 degrees. It was 32!) The plan was to go as long as I could without overdoing it - or until I got too cold (whichever came first.) Nice and easy, but log some miles.

I headed south on Liberty Rd. all the way to Bloomfield Rd. - where there sits a "Steak and Shake" restaraunt that I've eaten at a couple of times including earlier that evening. (I get the Chili 5-Way!) The night before, I headed back to the east to do a loop; however, I wanted to run something different. I couldn't head west on that stretch of Bloomfield Rd. to get to Curry Pike so I turned back around, went north to Constitution, took a left until I came to Curry Pike.

Somewhere around here was 3 miles and I wasn't completely comfortable. Not so much from the cold. With the hat on my head (not fashionable, by the way) and the fleece zipped up around my neck, my glasses started to fog up because of the heat that I was generating around them. You have to pay attention enough at night to watch for oncoming traffic, but the last thing I want to do is to run - and can't see!

Once I got on to Curry Pike to head north again, my plan was to get to Jonathan Rd. and head back towards the hotel. Across the street from Jonathan Rd. is the GE Applicances plant. However, once I got close to it, I felt the sluggishness in my legs begin to wear off and began to stroke it some (for me, that is.) I ran north all the way to Vernal Pike, turned back to the south, ran to Jonathan Rd., took a left (heading east) and then ventured back to the hotel.

I was soaked and although I probably could have gone a little bit longer, I want to stay healthy too! The course, overall, was primarily flat with a slight bit of elevation change on both Liberty and Curry Pike but nothing like any of my previous runs in the former land of Bobby Knight!

6.95 miles, 1:17:38, 11:10/mile pace
http://www.harra.org/Route.asp?MapID=675

Week -- 12.79 miles, 2:23:27, 11:13/mile

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I've been to bloomington (in March), it get's cooold there. I did a quick 3-miler in Rockport, TX this AM (no hat or gloves needed)...maybe I can find the beach to run tomorrow.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Steve Bezner said...

I think I invested in the same $3.00 gloves and hat at Wal-Mart, but I needed them in Houston today!

Looks like warmer weather thru Saturaday!!!

6:28 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Steve,

Shame on you for talk of warmer weather! (I'm teasing!)

Basically ... it can get warm anytime after I finish the 10-miler in Pearland Saturday morning. At least it starts at 7 a.m.

Jon

7:41 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

steak and shake!!! I get the steak burger and the peanut butter shake.

I hope you've had a Skyline 3-way or 5-way.

Sigh. Homesick now.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home