Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, December 02, 2005

December Reader Participation: Rick Cook, The Woodlands

(Just a note/reminder that you do not need to have a running blog to be a part of this exercise!)

If you were to look in the dictionary for the word "passionate", I think you'd find a picture of Rick Cook! If you read Rick's blog at Geaux Running, you'll figure this out quick! How do I know? Rick might have been one of the few that desired to do two races - Run The Woodlands 5K #141 and Luke Locker's store event that took place at the same time on the same day. But he figured out a way to get it done - with a little help from the RD!

When Rick would fill out his RTW form/waiver, he would list his club as "R.E.C. Ultra". I spent up to 30 minutes surfing the 'Net trying to find a triathlon club so that I could put a link to it on the results. Then recently, after finding out about his blog, it dawned on me that it was just his initials and his newfound passion! Here's Rick recap for 2005:

Here is what I did and doing in 2005:

Eight (8) Run The Woodlands 5K (with one left to go on December 24th)
Houston Marathon
New Orleans Marathon
HEB Bayou City Classic 10K
Hog Hunt 50k, only completed 25k
Luke's Locker almost 5k
Run thru the Woods 5M
Sunmart 50M on December 10th with a sub-12 hours goal

"This was a bad year for me. Lots of injuries and crashes in races. I just could not find the timing. I am looking forward to a stronger 2006 both races and training."

Why does he run?
"I run for me and my son. That's so he can say I was good at something."

2006 Goals
As many RTWs as possible (sub 20:00)
Rocky Raccoon 100 miles (Feb) (sub 24 hours)
Mohican 100 (Ohio)
Arkansas Traveler 100
48 hour run in The Woodlands starting Good Friday and ending Easter
135 mile run to College Station and back (my own Badwater 135)
Maybe Crescent City Classic 10K (my family lives there)

"Those are the big ones. Not sure what else I want to do. I am more of a "on the fly" kinda guy."

See what I mean -- passionate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home