Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

This Week Update: Lethargic, A Cold and A Break

Ugh! Well, it is good to be home from bone-chilling cold Bloomington, Indiana, where it was in the low teens in the evening and calling for six inches of snow this past afternoon and evening. I caught an earlier flight home so I did not get stuck in Indianapolis this evening and possibly into tomorrow.

I really only get on treadmills as a last resort, but really didn't even feel like it this week at the hotel or the gym. So, therefore, aside from feeling lethargic all week, I took a break. I wanted to get in a run when I got home today, but I started to have the touch of a cold. I've got some Advil Cold and Sinus in me and will probably get to the gym in the AM.

It is good to be home though. I feel a bit more relaxed, which I'm sure makes sense to just about everyone.

My job requires me to travel and for the most part, I enjoy it. However, when you are even a little bit down, that "by yourself" loneliness rolls up on you when it is compounded with an additional pressure or two. And for me, it begins to effect everything I do and am involved in. I let the littlest things bother me and get in the way of getting things done and then my best course of action simply to avoid conflict is to retrench and retreat. (It goes counter to my passionate personality, but it keeps things from getting ultra ugly!)

Three (3) things will happen for sure this weekend: 1.) running Run The Woodlands 5K #143, 2.) having any and all running bloggers over to my house post-race (really looking forward to meeting Keith Kelleher and having everyone getting to visit and know Steve Bezner and Joe Breda a little more) and 3.) running the Jingle Bell Run 5-Miler with Waverly (pacing her). It will be her longest race leading up to the Aramco Half Marathon.

What about the 30K? That will depend upon how I feel tomorrow and Saturday. I want to avenge a little bit what I felt was a poor performance last year in muggy, humid conditions and I do not want to be at the bottom of the HARRA Fall Series Runner of the Season listings for Open Men (which is where I am with the worst performance of all men doing one race.) Ugh! Despite my size, I'm better than last. Doing two (2) races will get me out of that cellar position!

Waverly was interviewed on Tuesday by a reporter from the Spring Observer, a weekly newspaper that is thrown in my parent's neighborhood. (They are a part of the Houston Community Newspapers group.) The public relations folks, specifically Melissa Levin, the RD for the Jingle Bell Run on Sunday, at the Houston Marathon contacted the paper about Waverly's quest as a 10-year-old to run the half.

There's another surprise coming next Saturday, the 17th, but I can't let it all out of the bag!

I'm really proud of the commitment she made and am convinced, specifically after Sunday night, that she is going to run much more of the half marathon than she will walk. We'll see on the morning of the 24th as part of the Striders' Longest Long Run how far we get in three hours!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday morning! Please let me know if you'll definitely be able to make it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home