Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

December Reader Participation: Lance Collins, Sugar Land

Alright, I've been behind on these for the last few days! I'm catching up ... I promise!

I first became aware of Lance Collins, even though I didn't know him yet at this year's Tie One On For Charity 5K, which was the last race before my summer slide. He assured some of us that the mile markers were off (which I very much believe having run that Allen Parkway course twice this year.) However, I didn't really get a chance to meet Lance and one of his running partners, Steve Schroeder, until the Bearkat Bash 5K/10K this past September. It was then that I found out that I had some regular readers.

There were a couple of tense moments when both of those guys thought that I wasn't maximizing my potential with my passion and I had to communicate with both of them that I'm more than willing to listen to what they are doing, but that there is a certain way that I am *not* motivated. However, even though I think that they'd put together a great blog of their own, I count them as two of the many great friends that I've acquired during the 2005 year.

Here's Lance's contribution to the December Reader Participation effort:

My top 10 events of 2005 (so far - the year ain't over!) consists of 7 races and 3 training runs. They all represent some kind of milestone for reasons that I explain after each one.

RACES
**Young Lawyers Run 5K (May 12), 19:47 - my previous PR was 20:24, set less than 3 weeks prior to this race. So, first time I cracked into the 19s and a 37-second improvement in my 5K PR.
**Deer Park Independence Run 5K (June 25) 19:03 - my previous PR was 19:39, set in mid May. 36-second improvement in my 5K PR.
**Lazy Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer 5K (August 13) 19:05 - the only one of my top 10 events that wasn't a PR but significant for other reasons. This race easily had the worst conditions of any I ran over the summer. Super-high humidity, temperature in the low 80s, bright sunshine, and a tough course. Proud to have won my 10-year age group, which included 39 guys aged 40-49.
**Fired Up 5K (September 5) 18:46 - my previous PR was 19:03, set on June 25 (above). 17-second improvement and first time in the 18s.
**Klein Bearkat Bash 10K (September 10) 39:44 - my previous PR was 41:56, set 4 months earlier. 2:12 improvement in my 10K PR.
**Run Through The Brooks 5K (November 6) 18:11 - my previous PR was 18:46 (above). 35-second improvement and first time overall male master.
**Knight Flight For Humanity 10K (November 19) 38:26 - my previous PR was 39:11 set 5 weeks earlier. 45-second improvement and second overall finisher.

TRAINING RUNS
Note - we have a loop in the Greatwood subdivision in Sugar Land that is roughly 3.55 miles. It's the backbone of Steve Schroeder's and my training- we've been running on it for 3 years now. It's not the easiest course. If you can run a 7 minute pace on this course that usually translates to 6:45 on a flat, straight course. The first two training runs below were done alone on that loop. The third was done alone in my subdivision, RiverPark, in Sugar Land.

**(September 29) 7.1 mile training run (2 loops), 47:06 - one of the first really cool nights and I had a spring in my step. The fastest I had ever done two loops before was in 49:26. I hit the first loop in just under 24 minutes and just wanted to get another one done at close to that speed. Halfway through the second loop I entered "the zone" where I felt I could run forever and the faster I went the better I felt. It was the closest I've ever come to a true runner's high - I almost felt drunk (or at least buzzed) when I finished the second loop in 23:10. The 23:10 is easily the fastest single loop I've ever done and the 47:06 is easily the fastest twoloops I've ever done.

**(October 30) 14.2 mile training run (4 loops), 1:37:28 - one of those training runs where you have your game face on from the first step to the last. Kept the hammer down and the tank was completely empty by the time I finished. I never entered the zone but it was all business. I'm not sure I could equal this run or the September 29 run on any given day. Both could stand for some time, maybe forever.

**(November 16) 10.2 mile training run, 1:04:48 - another one of those training runs that was all business. My Space Alliance 10-Miler was a disappointing 1:07:58. I knew I had way better in me, given good conditions. It was 43 degrees for this run and a still, clear night. It converts to a 1:03:30 10-mile time, though I don't know if I'll ever be able to do that in a race - there are so few 10 milers around here.

The person who motivates me is the imaginary runner that I dream of being. The runner who never tires, who never gives up, who never makes excuses and who carries himself with grace and not arrogance. That runner is always just a little better than the runner that I am now, like a shadow that you can never catch. But I don't feel like a dog chasing his tail. Chasing that imaginary Lance Collins keeps me hungry and motivated. But if I doever catch him I'll have to thank him. I've been catching sight of him recently.

My goals for 2006 are:

**Qualify for Boston when I run the Houston Marathon on Jan. 15
**Stretch goal - go under 3 hours when I run Houston
**Train consistently throughout the year and average at least 40 miles a week regardless of the time of year (yes, even August)
**Remain injury free
**Continue meeting other runners and adding to the positive running vibe
**Go sub 18 in a 5K and sub 38 in a 10K
**Help my two running partners, Steve Schroeder and Brian King, achieve their goals, whatever they may be.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Very cool--thanks for sharing, Lance. It was very nice to meet you the other day in Pearland. I can see that race didn't make your top 5 of 2005 either. (and yes, I have no plans to do it next year!) :)
see you on the trails! (i need to run out there in SL sometime, i teach kids that live there in Greatwood).
-Jessica

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home