Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Thursday Night Runs

Waverly and I didn't get outside until approximately 10 p.m. this evening.

She spent much of the day with my grandparents, who are down from Pennsylvania, and parents. Me? I was being lazy on vacation.

In the interest of expediency, I'll keep this report short with some good news and normally what would be ugh! news.

The good news is that Waverly did the 4.1-mile outer loop in our subdivision in 53:57.59 for a pace of 13:10/mile. (I've told her that a 13:00/mile pace would yield a 2:50 half marathon - equivalent to Dad's first outing at the half marathon distance in November 2003.) Now why is this good news?

On Saturday, November 27th, Waverly did the same loop twice in 57:11.61 and 58:53.95. Both nights we were primarily interested in running the entire way and maintaining a nice steady pace. This just goes to show that the pace has quickened a bit in a month. Nice job!

Now the ugh! news. I took off for an additional 2.1-mile loop (with Waverly following on her new bike that her uncle, Jason Broadrick, got for her.) I did it in 21:12.29, a 10:06/mile pace. Cassie is smiling somewhere and Sarah is just licking her chops thinking to herself, given her steady resurgence, "I can finally take Walk now."

Although I should place a bit more stock in times and pace in training, I really just go out, try to run hard, steady and consistent as much as I possibly can, get the miles in and the work done and then lay it all on the line when I race.

We're off tomorrow to San Antonio (on the campus of UT-San Antonio) to see some NCAA Division I women's college basketball between Colorado State, where former HBU women's head basketball coach Shane Brown is now the first assistant, and Tulsa.

48 hours to marathon #4!

4 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

dude, you've done 4 marathons (yes 3, but one this weekend makes 4) and you always run more miles than I ever will in training! a 10:06 pace after how many miles ran this month?? I think you still have me beat :)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

BTW, good luck- you don't need it- in the Texas Marathon. You're running ANOTHER marathon already. You just did one. You're Crazy! but awesome!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Aw, I'm not quite up to your level yet Jon. But maybe I can keep you in my sights! :)

8:28 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

good luck Sunday.
One day Waverly is gonna be running circles around all of us.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home