Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Quiet in Canada; On To New Orleans

It is Tuesday morning, January 31st here in Vancouver, British Columbia. Our team flew in yesterday to begin doing work here on a 20-month project (well, for a couple of us!) However, we learned yesterday afternoon upon arrival that a workplan won't be done for a little bit and we'll be home office for a few more weeks than probably start back up here in March. (I come back home on Friday morning.)

When we landed, there was no rain and the area here, of course, is simply gorgeous! The tops of my quads were still a bit sore from Sunday's 3M Half Marathon so I didn't venture out for a run (although I should have as it is raining here right now.) I'm staying on what's know as the North Shore in North Vancouver, which yields a beautiful view of the city to the south. As we drove over Lions Gate Bridge, I was able to see the well-known Stanley Park to the right. And at dinner, I asked the waitress if she knew of any trails on the side where we are at - and since she is in Vancouver to go to school to be a personal trainer, she quickly rattled off a few.

I spent some time trying to explore running clubs here in the area and will probably spend one weekend a month up in this area this summer getting in marathons in this part of the world. The Vancouver International Marathon is the first weekend in May - the weekend after the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon.

If I can get through the next two weekends, then I'll be able to pull this off then I hope.

What's the next two weekends? Well, I've decided to run both the Mardi Gras Marathon in New Orleans on Sunday (to get my fourth state in) and then run the Surfside Beach Marathon the following Saturday. So ... two marathons within eight days! (And yes, that means I'm forgoing Freescale in Austin.) This will be a new push for me, but life is all about new experiences as long as you can do them without getting hurt.

Time to get ready for work. Ya'll have a great day!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Yes, it's official, Jon is insane:)

but Jon, seriously, you are so inspirational. hope you are enjoying it up there. the high today is like 75 degrees. yuck.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Hey Zeus said...

When you enter Audubon Park, say hi to my IT Band. That's where I left that thing when I blew it out.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Crosstrain said...

Jon is obviously not satisfied with an IronFoot but wants the whole body.

8:07 PM  
Blogger David said...

Jon you seem to have developed a taste for the local cuisine- eating 26.2 for both breakast and dinner.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Good Luck Jon. I look forward to seeing you down in Surfside. I believe there are only 300 entries, so it should be easy to find people (And Edwin will be parking cars).

Lance, interesting question about training. I'm curious as to how much training should actually take place between marathons. For example, if you did a marathon every weekend, I assume must weeks would be very light running.

Seeya!

6:14 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Had I seriously trained for half marathons when I did two on back to back days last April -- PR'd on the first and then was within 2 minutes of it again the next day? No.

I understand the risk. I'm not running these to break my PR!

I'm doing these 1.) to get in another state (Louisiana) - I will get in 10 states before the end of the year and 2.) to have fun.

I realize that I have to slow down on these and that I can't run the first half at PR pace and then expect to finish in one piece.

Constant human lab at work here.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...

Last year the weather was poor in Austin so results were atypical. Weather wasn't so great in 2004 in Austin, either, with some terrific winds blowing up in the second half of the race. However, 17 Houston Striders did both Houston and Austin that year. 5 of the 17 PR'd including Brett Riley who set the all time Strider marathon record of 2:33:45 4 weeks after running 2:36:40 at Houston. 7 more bettered their Houston result at Austin, and 5 did worse. (Of the 5 who did worse 4 had PR'd at Houston.)

Brett's trained really really hard for 2 Houston's since then but has been unable to beat his 2004 Austin performance.

If you've trained hard for Houston and do the right things between Houston and Austin you can be very successful at Austin.

Steeeve

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not talking about doing a marathon a month. Talking about cashing in on your Houston training to do Austin. Apples and oranges, Lance.

Steeeve

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home