Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Gary Kubiak, Treadmill on Richard Justice's Blog

I think sportswriter Richard Justice of the Chronicle is one of the best to come around in the last 30 years on the Houston sports scene. (I'd throw the Chronicle's current travel editor Harry Shattuck into that mix too. If you included high school sports, I'd add the Post's Ivy McLemore and the Chronicle's Bill McMurray and David Barron.)

Right around the time of the marathon last month, I was perusing the participants' listing and I saw Justice's name signed up for the half marathon, but I didn't know where he lived so I didn't know if it was him for sure. I e-mailed him and he said that he was trained for it, was ready to go, but had to cover the AFC semifinal games in Denver and Indianapolis that weekend.

In this blog post Wednesday, Richard had this insight about new Houston Texas head football coach Gary Kubiak:

We interviewed Kailee Wong on SportsRadio 610 Wednesday morning. He said he'd seen Gary Kubiak running on the treadmill at 6:30 many mornings and then back for a second run at 11:30. Does that qualify as a fanatic?

There's an NFL runing backs coach named Bobby Jackson. He was such a workout warrior he'd lift weights and run sprints almost everyday.

Once he pulled a muscle in his side and couldn't lift. I joked that he was going to get fat and lazy.

''I've already run on the treadmill twice today,'' he said, ''and I'm not done.''


Justice moderates his comments. So if you either 1.) make sense on an issue or 2.) make him laugh, yours gets through. I think mine qualified under the 2nd provision:

Gary's just getting ready to run the Half with you next January. Oops! That would mean that the Texans weren't in the AFC championship game. On second thought, you both will be ready by then!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home