Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, March 17, 2006

No Limits at Saturday's Lookin' Good 5K/10K

Well, then again, there might be if you are doing the 5K!

Houston Running Bloggers' Erica Smith began to panic as she read the race instructions last weekend after she went to Luke's Locker on W. Gray to register for this Saturday's event put on by the Houston Eye Associates Foundation.

Here's what she wrote in her blog:

"I went to Luke's Locker to sign up for the Lookin' Good 10k. I paid my fee, got my t-shirt and packet and left.

"At a red light, I was reading the race instructions.

"There is a time limit on the 10k! And the time limit is 60 minutes!!! If I pushed myself, I could probably do it in 70 minutes, but I'm not willing to go that fast and it's still past the time limit.

"So, I have two choices. I can either switch to the 5K, or not do the run and run with TNT instead. Considering I already have the t-shirt, I'm thinking about swallowing my pride and running the 5K."

Thanks to Monica Shak, Executive Director of the Houston Eye Associates Foundation, Erica will be able to run as fast as she is trained for and not have to swallow her pride!

"We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the confusion, this was a typing error and we meant it in regards to the 5K.

"There will not be a time limit for the 10K race, all runners will be allowed to finish the race. We will correct this mistake and have an adjusted instruction sheet available at our next Packet Pick-Up, which is this Thursday.

"Please pass this information along to your club members and feel free to contact me with any other questions."

The Lookin' Good 5K and 10K has long been a staple of the Houston running community -- this year's event is the 21st annual -- and we appreciate Monica responding so quickly.

Run hard, run fast and look good doing it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home