Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Wednesday Night Lions' Gate Bridge Run in Vancouver

Well, I had hit a little bit of a rut.

After the euphoria of four marathons in five weekends, I took two days off, ran Wednesday night, flew home Friday morning, worked out at the gym (55 minutes on the elliptical) Friday night, paced Waverly Saturday morning at Run The Woodlands 5K and then did 6.2 miles in the subdivision Sunday night (2.1 with her, an additional 4.1 on my own.)

So here it was. Another Wednesday night. The plan to run in the morning had come and gone and here I was staring the prospect of "maybe" getting in one run before trying to run a half marathon or two this weekend.

My biggest fear is that I'll slip on my progress that I've made over all of this time. Sure, I know that I'm not going to PR every race out; however, I'm looking to make sure that I don't have a dedicated drop off like I did last summer (after being off for about four weeks because of an injury).

At 10:15 p.m., I was out the door of the Lonsdale Quay Hotel without a firm plan of how long or how far I was going to run. But I did know that I would try to make sure that it was definitely over an hour. And I accomplished that goal and, in fact, I basically duplicated a run that I did out here the very first week that included crossing over (and back) the Lions' Gate Bridge.

I had referenced the dimensions of the bridge in this post and I had followed this route -- one that Geoff and Rachel Guenther of the Houston Striders may appreciate the most.

The stats before?

The first 3.8225 miles, which included the bulk of the incline over the bridge, was covered in 42:40.47 while the back half was covered in 42:25.00. (There was a break of 1:00.61 at the foot of the bridge on the city of Vancouver side.) A total of 7.645 miles in 1:25:05.47 for an overall pace of 11:08 per mile.
Tonight?

The first 3.8225 miles, which included the bulk of the incline over the bridge, was covered in 40:12.76 while the back half was covered in 39:21.81. (There was a break of 1:00.40 at the foot of the bridge on the city of Vancouver side.) A total of 7.645 miles in 1:19:34.37 for an overall pace of 10:25 per mile.

So I'm happy and can sleep well tonight!

My miles Sunday night were as follows: 2.1 miles in 25:26.70 with Waverly and another 4.1 miles in 45:21.45 -- all, of course, in nice warm temperatures and lots of humidity! Yay! I actually introduced some fartleks into her run. Very simple though. Basically when we got to the "crack" in the street by the next lightpost, we started to run fast and then when we got to the next one we backed it off but kept running.

She ran 2.1 last night with my wife and she did the same distance in 26:58; however, she was going to try and do some tonight. (She's getting ready for her mile run on Monday at school and then the Blue Bell Run 5K next Saturday in Brenham.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home