Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

"Run, Preacher, Run": Odessa's Running Preacher

(Originally appeared in the Odessa American on Saturday, February 25, 2006)

By Jennifer Edwards
copyright 2006, Odessa American

Is your refrigerator running? How about your pastor?

At least one Odessa church can say their pastor is running, and running strong, all in the name of encouraging his congregation.

At the beginning of February, the Rev. David Johnson, aka “The Running Preacher” of Central Baptist Church, once again confronted his most challenging race — one that he’s attempted yet failed to complete three times in the past three years.

With 44 races under his belt ranging from 26.2 miles to one other 100-miler, 53-year-old Johnson might seem like a pro. But the Rocky Raccoon 100-Mile Trail Run in Huntsville, he said, has always stood in the way of a perfect record.

“This race has been my nemesis,” he said.

Johnson began running marathons and races six years ago to raise funds for various charitable causes. Until this past Feb. 6, the RR was the only one he had yet to complete, he said. But he tried — oh, how he tried.

“The first time I tried was February 2003 and had to quit at 73 miles,” he said. “In February 2004 … (I) pulled myself at 80 miles because I was called to an emergency situation back home with a family in our church.”

The third attempt in February 2005 also fell short, perhaps because his ambitions were, well, too ambitious.

“I did a bit too much before the run as I did a 50-mile run and the next day a 25.2-mile marathon in mid-December,” he recalled. “Two weeks before the 100-miler, I did a Tsunami Relief run of 34.2 miles around Odessa.”

Perhaps because of that, he was pulled from the race at 77 miles because he missed the time cutoff. Johnson said he doesn’t know why, with 43 other successful races under his belt, the one he couldn’t lick would continue to bother him. Perhaps that’s why it rankled so. The race became his Waterloo. Luckily, unlike Napoleon, he got more than a second chance; he got a fourth. And that’s exactly what he needed to beat it, and to inspire his congregation.

FOURTH TIME’S THE CHARM

The stage: Huntsville, Texas, deep in the woods of Huntsville State Park.

The challenge: Five 20-mile loops and 30 hours of eating on the road, drinking on the road, changing on the road and absolutely eschewing sleep.

Back home, at least one fan was cheering for him — a fan Johnson said has been an inspiration to the church this past year.

Santos Carillo, 59, faced his own challenges in October and December, when his foot and then a portion of his left leg had to be amputated due to a blockage. Carillo, said he admires Johnson’s endurance in tackling the race.

“It I think it is great for his age, that he can still do this,” he said. “It inspires you because he does not give up.”

Carillo said Johnson’s try-and-you’ll-get-there-eventually mentality has helped him make his own transition after the surgery.

“Like I tell him, when they cut my leg off, it might take me longer to get there, but I will get there,” he said. As Johnson himself, eventually did.

TRIUMPH OVER DE FEET

As usual, Johnson started out at 6 a.m., stopping every 20 miles to change his shoes and socks and to nab something to drink and eat on the trail.

Occasionally, he’d don warmer clothes as the temperatures plummeted from 70 degrees during the day to 35 degrees at night.

He was going along at a good clip, he recalls, until mile 52. Then, the terrain made itself known.

“Because of all the trees, there are … knoblike roots, all covered with pine needles,” he said.

He clipped the root, fell and rolled, he said. Luckily, he hit sandy soil. Later, at mile 88, Johnson said he narrowly avoided disaster.

“I was running by myself and literally going to sleep as I ran,” he said. “I knew it was getting bad when I suddenly opened my eyes as I was about to run right into a big bush.” But by then, he said, he knew he was home free.

“When I started on my last loop, I knew I had it,” he said. “I did get emotional a little bit.”

At 28 hours and seven minutes, he finished the race and inspired his congregation — yet again.

“This is a reminder to me, our church and our community to persevere and continue on in the race or the life we are called,” he said. “The setbacks should only encourage us.”

1 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

I thought about sending you that story today. Cool!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home