Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Blue Bell Fun Run Mile-By-Mile Primer

Saturday, March 25th is 28th annual Blue Bell Fun Run 10K / 5K in Brenham, Texas. Waverly (she's doing the 5K) and I will be there as well as a number of other Houston Running Bloggers and Seven Hills Running Club members - bypassing for a week the bimonthly Run The Woodlands 5K.

One of the staples of the Blue Bell Fun Run is all the free ice cream you can eat -- after you finish! (Edwin: I don't think they'll allow coolers!)

Another staple is Houston's John Yoder, a member of the Houston Striders, who will be running the Blue Bell Fun Run for his 12th straight time! (You'd have to coax it out of him, but he failed to mention that he has also won it three times!)

John says, "I wouldn't miss it for anything. (It is) kind of like my streak at the Houston Marathon. They are the only two races I have done every year since I started running."

For those of you who have never challenged the Brenham course, I have a treat that is almost as tasty as a cookies and cream ice cream sandwich! I asked John, one of the nicest (yet consistently fast at all distances) guys, to give us a "Blue Bell Fun Run rookie" mile-by-mile primer:

Mile 1. The Start. Don't be deceived when you stand at the top of the hill and start thinking to yourself, "Gosh, this course has a net elevation LOSS. And look at that first 1/4 mile. You run downhill. This will be a piece of cake!" It gets decidedly harder as the race goes on. This is NOT a PR course, but not nearly as bad as the Capitol 10,000 in Austin. The race starts on a fairly wide road and unlike some of the more crowded Houston races, there doesn't seem to be as much crowding and jockeying for position to be on the front line out here in the country. After heading on a slight downhill for 1/4 mile, the course turns right and then turns right again for a slight uphill.

Mile 2. More gradual uphill with some gradual downhill thrown in as well and then you "may" hear a train whistle off in the distance. Don't panic. You don't need to kick it in high gear, the train passes 30 feet above you on a bridge. The first year they ran this particular course, I got freaked out that we would have to cross the train track and yet I could hear a train in the distance and I wanted to beat the train. Not a concern and save yourself for "The Hill" later.

Mile 3. If I remember right, the course crosses "The Trestle" which is hyped in the brochure on the race. Basically a small wooden bridge that you need to pay attention to your footing while crossing. Try to keep your eyes on the road and not on the bluebonnets scattered by the side of the road! The course goes through some residential country neighborhoods with large lawns next and contains what appears to be the steepest hill on course. You will probably miss it as it isn't very bad.

Mile 4. You leave the subdivision and head on a narrow country lane, which is your shadiest section of the course. It lasts about 1/2 mile. If it is a hot day, be glad for trees. If I remember right, there is some actual downhill slopes to this 4th mile.

Mile 5. More downhill before you leave the country and turn right onto a busy highway. Runners have the wide shoulder and the right lane to run in. Don't worry too much about the traffic as there isn't much and you are 100% safe. Now the uphill section begins. Just when you thought you were tired they up and throw a long slow uphill that seems like it will never end. Nothing steep, but it just goes on forever.

Mile 6. Light at the end of the tunnel. That hill you were cursing having to walk uphill to the starting line now becomes your best friend. Top of the hill and a quick 90* left turn takes you down that steep hill straight to the finish. Not too steep you have to put the brakes on to hold yourself back but steep enough that you will PR for your fastest .2 in the final stretches of a 10K.

"Now go and shower up if you please and chow down on all the Blue Bell ice cream your stomach can handle. You've earned it!"

And since John will be in before every one else, his note to me after last year's race: "I downed five (5) ice cream snacks yesterday myself. Well off my PR of 7. I will be in strict training for next 12 months when I attempt my record next year."

And if it is especially hot, I have no doubt that Yoder will be in contention for not only a 4th win but also that always special, "ice cream PR"!

See you in Brenham on Saturday and look for the orange Houston Running Bloggers sign!

4 Comments:

Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

I guess I'll have to debut on the ice cream P.R. and then will have to train all year to beat it next year.

This sounds like a fun race.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

i'm lactose intolerant so i couldn't eat all i wanted anyways! :( i'll try to go run it next year though!

12:00 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

very nice. I'm looking forward to it.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

I am totally worn out, but the promise of ice cream will ensure my attendance regardless of how tired I am!! Looking forward to it!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home