Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Getting the Juices Going Again

Alright, this has been another phase that I've been going through. Yuck!

But I realized that I sort of went through the same spell this time last year. I struggled during the month of April to get the miles in -- some of that was due to starting to travel with my job again -- but I still did really well from a racing standpoint.

Here is what my month looked like last year:

4/2/05 - Bellaire Trolley Run 5K - 29.18.9 (I didn't run this well at all either.)
4/3/05 - Big D Texas Half Marathon - 2:16:58.20 (Decided to do this at the last minute. PR'd)
4/9/05 - Run The Woodlands 5K #127 - 29:16.68
4/16/05 - Blue Bell Fun Run 10K - 1:02:44.7 (This race sort of played with my head for awhile.)
4/22/05 - GLOW 5K in College Station - 29:14.40 (Night race and running with co-eds at A&M is always a nice way to run well)
4/23/05 - Run The Woodlands 5K #128 - 28:45.20 (This was 2nd best 5K ever at the time)
4/30/05 - Drake Relay On -The-Roads Half Marathon - 2:16:38 (PR'd in Iowa)
5/1/05 - Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon - 2:18:51 (Nearly did it again in Nebraska)

Since I don't really have any specific time goals other than to try and run well at whatever distance I choose to, it's been hard after this last marathon (Fiesta de Albuquerque Marathon) I did last Saturday, where I turned in an unsterling 5:44:56 (watch time) - my worst actually, to pin things down to where I want to head.

Yeah, I got in state #6, but I would have preferred to have done it closer to my performance in Little Rock than the four (4) that I have done that have bounced around the 5:39-5:40 range.

The Hart Half Marathon in Prince George, British Columbia a few weeks ago - 2:25:10 - was primarily due to a couple of reasons. First, I didn't have the rest that I would need to perform well (even though I have raced and done well other times). I drove 500 miles through the night to get to this race. Second, I wasn't fueled properly at all. After turning off the course past the 7 kilometer mark for a couple of minutes, I ran out of fuel just past the 13-kilometer mark and struggled in.

I've got to get going again if I want to do two that are coming up in June:

6/10/06 - North Olympic Discovery Marathon (Port Angeles, Washington)
6/24/06 - Pacific Crest Marathon (Sunriver, Oregon)

Some that I'm looking at for in the late fall / early winter as "potentials" include (but all dependent upon my work schedule too):

11/19/06 - The Tulsa World Route 66 Marathon (Oklahoma)
12/2/06 - St. Jude Memphis Marathon (Tennessee)
12/10/06 - Dallas White Rock Marathon
12/31/06 - Run for the Ranch Marathon (Springfield, Missouri)
1/14/07 - Chevron Houston Marathon (unless Waverly wants to train for another half)

And the "long shot" out there is the Rocky Raccoon 50-Miler the first weekend of February, but nothing is guaranteed with my current project assignment up here.

First, I have to break this "un-Keith Kelleher" streak that I'm on!

2 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

The GLOW 5K? Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling?

7:57 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Giving Light to Others.

An Aggie thing!
Sort of like ... Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home