Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Philosophizing

I always liked that tag that LisaLeese had on her blog which she categorized her posts.

I receive nice comments from time to time (which, of course, are completely unwarranted) and some of them range between flattering to embarrassing. Some of them include the following:

Regarding stats ... "Honestly, I don't know how you keep track of it all." (Sometimes, I'm not sure either.)

"I am a Jon Walk fan." (Oh no! Groupies? Just teasing.)

More on the stats ... "I enjoy reading the statistics on your site and appreciate the work that you put into it. Good luck with your running." (Thanks, I'm behind in the stats and the miles. There's the embarrassing spot.)

"Congratulations, you have been promoted! I read and check your blog so often I decided to make it my home page." (You're opening your browser each time to look at my mug? Yikes!)

However ... would it help anyone for me just to admit that I'm in a rut?

I don't know if the words "burnout" or "being overwhelmed" apply here.

I just know that I don't feel the same way that I did after running four (4) marathons in five (5) weeks, which included three of my best four times ever, followed up two weeks later with a half-marathon PR!

Don't get me wrong, in a sense, I'm still having fun!

I really enjoyed the meetings last week in Huntsville on Thursday with the Seven Hills Running Club as well as on Sunday night with the Houston Running Bloggers. (And there were individuals in both groups that were missing that would have added to the mix positively for everyone.)

But, right now, there's something missing and I can't put a finger on it! I figure you all read a lot of my good times. Therefore, it would be inappropriate to hide a part of the low tide as well.

I've got three posts outstanding here -- the Hart Half Marathon race report from Prince George, British Columbia (2:25:10; 15 minutes of PR!), last Friday at the Expo in New Mexico and Saturday's Fiesta de Albuquerque race report (5:44:56, PR! nowhere in sight!)

Thanks for reading and listening!

6 Comments:

Blogger Tommy said...

I'm sure anyone who has either run or posted to a blog understands because the motivation for both ebbs and flows.

Hopefully you will find what is missing because I enjoy reading what you write.

2:46 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I'm not giving up again! I just have to "re-figure" what my goals are and how to achieve them.

I'm not one that does things by the book. Never have been.

I probably should submit to having a schedule or plan put out for me to accomplish a specific goal, but I'll admit that is kind of scary.

I think I do a fairly good job in putting them together for Waverly, but I struggle with following one myself. (Yes, I know that it the pot calling the kettle black too.)

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that daily writing might even be harder than daily running, but please don't stop. Maybe you could set a goal to write for 10,000 days - that would keep us all happy!

4:12 PM  
Blogger equarles said...

What's a schedule? We love reading stuff you write, but don't sweat it. My blogs have been sporadic lately. Life happens.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think the reason I've been blogging for so long (since 98) is that I don't have any goals for it!! I just blog. Sometimes I think it must be pretty darn boring to anyone but me, but hey.

In the end, it's "just" a blog. You don't answer to us, just to you. :)

12:49 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hmmm...maybe you've hit a blogging plateau...give yourself credit, you've been able to keep your blog "interesting" and that's a challenge...whether it's a new theme or a new goal, I'm sure you'll find out what it is.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home