Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

10.5 with Mr. Smart ... and, no, not Maxwell Smart

New HRB member Bill Cox - and Houston Strider - commented on one of yesterday's posts about keeping the run "smart", as it related to running with an injury. I did. I ran with Mr. Dave Smart, one of our Houston Running Bloggers (HRB) members out in The Woodlands.

We ran a 10.5-mile loop recommended by Rick Cook, who helped me race direct Run The Woodlands 5K #154 yesterday.

Dave and I started at Northshore Park on Lake Woodlands Drive just west of Grogan's Mill, went west out to Kuykendahl. We headed south at Kuykendahl to Flintridge, where we took a left and headed back east to Panther Creek Drive. We turned right there and took it around to Lake Woodlands Parkway.

After getting to Lake Woodlands Parkway, we got on the sidewalk trails (and off the road) and ran east to Grogan's Mill and then back west to the park to close the loop. We covered the 10.5 miles in 1:59:52 -- a little longer than what I might have hoped for since we think we covered the first 5 miles in 54 minutes and change. The upper 70's/high humidity morning made it fun. (Yeah, right!) I was completely soaked when nature called near Creekwood Park across the road from McCullough Junior High - which was McCullough High School when I graduated from Spring HS in 1984.

Our splits where all over the place as Dave had ballpark estimates, according to Google Map, where the mile markers were. (Sweat does wonders to a paper map!)

What did I learn from this run this morning? I could go out and run a half marathon, without the IT band pain, in cooler temperatures, but the Carrabba's Half on Saturday, June 17th, in San Antonio might be a crap shoot. (Two years ago, I was kind of ready for the heat and still only did it in 2:32. Last year, coming back off of an injury and the first time that I had covered 13.1 miles in six weeks, I did it a sweltering time of 2:48. Pretty embarrassing.)

We had a good time running together. Dave's conversation style over that length of distance is much like he writes on his blog. Very low-key, high in description but not so much as to bore you and with his sons being so heavily involved in Boy Scouts, Dave is extremely keen to pick up on what is going on in the nature and environment around him. It is something that I just have not developed as much of an appreciation for. However, I very much respect those individuals that do.

Although Dave's just five or six years older than me, certainly doesn't carry any extra weight and is way faster than me on the shorter distances, Dave's in excellent shape and didn't seem to have any problems with the distance. I think Dave, Holden Choi and Joe Carey all have the opportunity, if they all choose to do the Houston Marathon in January, to push the 4:30 envelope. They were all in the just over 5-hour range this past year. However, all of them have made significant strides in their running since then!

Towards the end of our run, I was commenting on the quality of people that we have in our HRB group and how some of them did yesterday. The one thing that I have been truly blessed with is the large number of constituencies of runners that I have at my disposal -- and it is something that I'm thankful to have all of the good friends that I do.

When we made it back to Northshore Park, The Woodlands resident Debbie Tripp, who turned 50 recently, was waiting there to pick up her digital camera that we used yesterday for Run The Woodlands 5K. We probably spent another 20-30 minutes shooting the breeze as it threatened rain, but I learned that Debbie will be in San Diego next Sunday to make her attempt at her first full marathon, the Rock 'N Roll Marathon. She's going to employ a 5-1 method as she put that into place on long runs starting with the 3M Half Marathon in Austin last January -- at that race she dropped time from her very first half marathon effort at Houston two weeks before.

So in James David Dykas and Keith Kelleher style, my "shout out" of the day goes to Debbie as I wish her to "Rock On" in San Diego. (Yes, yes, imitation of my fellow bloggers is the sincerest form of flattery!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

sounds like a great run, Jon. I look forward to the next time we get a long run in...let me know when one of our weekend's correspond:)
-Jessica

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home