Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Almost 8.6 on Tuesday Night!

Back to the grind.

I did more miles than I probably should have; however, I felt good, relaxed and I kept it steady and pretty slow. I thought that I was going to have an issue with the IT band in the first 2 miles, but I really think that some of the problem had to do with gait. Because as I concentrated on making sure my right foot strike was where were it needed to be to lessen the slight twinge from becoming a large one, things cleared up and I was able to put in 8.6 miles (8.578, to be exact).

The time was slow. 1:34:59 or a pace of 11:04/mile. If I'm doing a 10-mile race or a half marathon, this is not a time that I need to be running. Though for a full marathon - an 11-minute mile is a 4:48 (which I'll take every time out). (The route was here.)

I was giving things some thought as I ran from approximately 11:00 p.m. local time until 12:30 a.m. around the quiet Stanley Park. While I'm glad for my fellow Houston Running Bloggers RC members who are spinning off PR's as if they were 45's; however, I think that my thing is going to be "going long" more often.

That means I'm very comfortable being happy with doing more marathons. And my goal is to try to put myself in a position to be able to run a marathon consistently under 5 hours. I think that once I can get there, I should be able to trim some pounds with consistent weekly mileage in the 35-45 miles per week range and then find that one (1) marathon that I can work towards and try to get myself in the 4:30 or under range.

Things to think about and push towards! I hope each one of you have a major target that you're working for. I know for Jessica Alexander, for example, that while she is enjoying getting faster, the marathon is still that elusive target for her. And I'll go so far as to say this: Taking the 1:59 that she ran at the Aramco Houston Half Marathon in January and the improvements that she's made thus far, if she runs anywhere near a 1:50 at the Luke's Locker/Koala Health and Wellness Centers Half Marathon in late October, I think a Boston qualifying time isn't out of the realm of possibility for her.

Alright, it's late here --1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning! Good night!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

4:30 is a perfect goal. Think Dallas WR!

6:03 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Jon-
Thank you for your support. With good and SMART training, I will simply be happy to finish that elusive 26.2 :)
Hope to see you soon!

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home