Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Surprised and Stubborn

My daughter, Waverly, surprised me and, of course, it doesn't bother me one bit!

She ran Run The Woodlands 5K #153 today in 37:39 without running much at all since she did it three (3) weeks ago. She ran it then in 37:26 - still not far off of her 35:57 PR!

If she can run through the summer time, she can probably be close to PR again at the Bearkat Bash 5K and maybe take it down further if she wants to do the half marathon again in January.

Now the stubborn part -- me! I went out at about 4:30 p.m. (yes, in the heat) and brisk-walked another 4.1 miles. I took my first anti-inflammatory this morning and now I understand why the doctor asked if I had a strong stomach. Its been upset all day. Maybe it will cause me to eat less.

I covered the distance today in 1:04:33. I got to the one hour mark not sure how far I was from the house, but I decided that I'd run a minute, walk a minute the rest of the way in -- to give the IT band a little bit of a dry run.

The second minute that I ran I just tried to generate enough foot turnover to get almost 180 footstrikes and then in the last 33 seconds, I had either 97 or 98. I remember one time when I bought a pair of shoes at Luke's and was working with Stan Timmer and he mentioned about trying to get in the 160-170 range on a consistent basis. I could see that it would take some work to maintain this, but it might be something to give a little bit more of a try periodically to see if it yields any benefits.

So, I ran 2 minutes and 33 seconds without any issues. I may get one more good walk in the heat tomorrow afternoon before I head back to Vancouver (as my goal this past week was to attempt to acclimate to the heat) and then start to run again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's OK to be stubborn as long as you are being smart. You get back in the groove and all will be well soon enough.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home