Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Bill Dwyer and Tom Sherwood

We've waited long enough for our good friend from the great area of town known as Spring, but it is here -- Bill Dwyer's blog, "Coach Bill". (Bill had sent me the note on Saturday; however, I wanted to wait until Monday, given my family circumstances, before I posted it.)

You all think I know a lot of people. Bill Dwyer does as well and I can't wait for him to share his experiences and stories from, as he says, his better running days! (All of mine are my "better running days!") BUT, Bill is constantly inspired by the people that he has a chance to coach and be involved with today. So you'll see the best of both worlds from Bill, blasts from his past as well as the encouraging stories of adult-onset athletes who are inspiring others.

A gentleman that I've gotten to know over the last two years is Tom Sherwood. I met Tom - and his good friend and training partner, Wayne Rutledge - at Run The Woodlands 5K (and I still haven't published where he likes to hide his keys.) Fortunately, it isn't the same place as those individuals in Memorial Park who have been having things stolen out of their cars because they leave the keys sit on the tires!

Perhaps the biggest influence to Tom's running career is the winner of the first Houston Marathon back in 1972, The Woodlands High School's boys cross country and track coach, Danny Green. Coach Green was Tom's head coach at Clear Lake HS before Danny moved on to take a job in the Conroe ISD at what TWHS used to be known as -- McCullough High School.

Tom has a profile set up on http://www.runbud.com/ and on his page, there is a place for blog entries. His profile page is listed here.

As I've related earlier, the last time I saw Tom in person was as he came up on me from behind at the Carrabba's Classic Half Marathon in San Antonio last month.

Both Bill and Tom are friends of mine and are great encouragers to and for the efforts - athletically and publicity-wise - that I've been fortunate enough to be allowed to make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home