Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Latest

Wow! Life is busy.

I spent much of the weekend getting the Run The Woodlands 5K results together, updating the 158-race database (after losing about 6 races to a hard disk crash) and then had work and other issues to deal with.

It is currently Wednesday morning in Tipton, Pennsylvania where I am in the basement of my grandparents' house. I look up on the wall and I see a picture of my great-grandparents, who have long since passed away (well, actually, my great-grandfather didn't pass until 1997 or 1998 and he had been born in 1900). It is always good to be "home". I'll only be here for a couple of days and even then, I'm still working (as I can carry my work with me anywhere).

I'll try to get in a run or two tonight and tomorrow before driving to Parkersburg, West Virginia on Friday for Saturday's News and Sentinel Half Marathon.

I'm going to be visiting with a good friend, Shane Brown, the new women's basketball coach at Ohio Valley College (and formerly of Houston Baptist University) -and- running the half marathon with fellow HRBer Cassie Cowan.

Workouts? After Saturday's Run The Woodlands 5K #159 where the heat, not yet consistent training and absolutely no warmup (because of the record crowd) yielded a time of 31:03.72, I later that evening added an hour on the elliptical machine at the gym and about 12 minutes on the stationery bike. (While maintaining the random setting, I upped the level to 17 and I only "covered" 4.88 miles. By the time I got to the bike, where I was trying to do 24 minutes at level 7 while doing intervals/hills, I wasn't hydrated as well as I should have been and began to cramp in my left leg.)

The splits on Saturday's run --

Mile 1 -- 9:18.63 (Barbara caught and passed me.)
Mile 2 -- 10:13.23 (Ran part of this with Jim Fredricks until I needed to back off.)
Mile 3 -- 10:32.17 (Ugly!)
Last .1 -- 59.69 (I normally cover this 5 seconds faster!)

Sunday, I was so busy that I didn't run at all. But on Monday evening, I completed the same workout from Saturday night at the gym. I covered 5.04 miles on the elliptical, I think (I know it was over 5), and completed all 24 minutes on the bike.

Tuesday had the same result -- no activity. After waking, work took hold until leaving for the airport (got there at 1:30 p.m. for a 3:45 p.m. flight ... that time of day you can utilize your normal "get there an hour ahead" routine), flying to Cleveland and then driving a little over 4 hours to my grandparents and getting here at 12:15 a.m. Eastern time.

So for those who wonder what's up with me, there it is!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Have a good trip. Look forward to hearing a good report on the half from you and cassie.

7:53 AM  
Blogger elf said...

Enjoy the rest of your trip! BTW--I'm *pretty* sure I used to play pickup basketball with Shane (and some other folks) at Rice. I'm not sure he'd remember me, but wish him luck with his new job for me...

Erin

11:07 AM  
Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Have a good trip and best of luck with your half! Can't wait to read all about it!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home