Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

News and Sentinel Half Marathon Preview

Official web site: http://newsandsentinel.com/halfmarathon/

The News and Sentinel Half Marathon is also the RRCA's national championship event at this distance. At the national convention in Houston this past March, the event earned the right next year to also host the national championship (which will be its fourth straight year.)

RRCA president Bee McLeod and executive director Jean Knaack will both be in attendance. (Bee ran the 2-mile event last year in 16:03.) I communicate with Jean fairly regularly and am looking forward to meeting her in person after my schedule during the National Convention this past spring (flying home on Friday, doing RTW on Saturday) didn't allow me too.)

The course is a tough one. (Vic, the course description is here and course photos are here. All the photos show flat sections or downhills!)

Weather? If it is like last year, it will be hot and humid. Not "Houston hot and humid", but enough to be uncomfortable. The current weather.com forecast is calling for thunderstorms all day Friday and Saturday. Temperature at race time (8 a.m.) is projected to be 70 degrees and increasing to between 75 and 77 degrees by the time I finish. Humidity will decrease from 84% to 76% during that time. Equally miserable, but the rain may help it not feel as bad.

Goal time: 2:24 or beat Cassie! (I'm teasing on the latter part. She is running with family and isn't "racing".) She did say on Saturday that she could see me ahead at RTW, but didn't have it in her to try and catch me. In RTW #143, with Manny's encouragement, she waited until the last 25 yards to pass me as we both ran one of our better races -- I PR'd at 28 and low change and she got me by a couple of seconds. (I'll never forgive her for it! Ha!)

Last year? It wasn't pretty. I had a tough half at altitude the week before in Flagstaff, Arizona and I was still coming off of a calf muscle injury. And it was hot! The gun time was 2:42 and the front half was 1:10 - so you could see where I crashed and burned!

Of 709 finishers, I was 661st! There were two other Texans - one a cross country runner from Spring who goes to Marietta College and a gentleman from Odem (Barry Nutter). This year, there will be at least two!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell Jean 'howdy' for me.

It's a shame I won't be there. Uh, yeah, a true shame.


doug

4:22 PM  
Blogger Bill D said...

You will need some cool sunglasses to beat Cassie. Have fun !!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

the odds that JWalk will beat me are 100%, cool sunglasses or not! y'all are so funny...and competitive! Manny is the competitive one between us and he's not running :)

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home