Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, September 25, 2006

10.11-Mile I Caught You Looking Run

I know what you were doing. You had been checking all day to see if I would get my long run in on the first week of my Houston Marathon training.

You probably thought I had thrown in the towel already and made some excuse about why I couldn't get it done. Well, you might have almost been right!

The original plan was to go to San Antonio this morning to run the Army Dillo Half Marathon at Fort Sam Houston; however, when the alarm went off at 2:45 a.m., I decided that I didn't feel like driving all that way. (It isn't the first time I've ever done that, but I probably needed the rest.)

However, the perceived rest didn't translate into the type of training run that I'd like to have had late, late this Sunday evening (turning into Monday morning). I was underfueled and not hydrated enough, but nonetheless the schedule said, "8 to 10 at a 12 minute per mile pace" and darned if I wasn't going to get it done.

Since I needed to be close to the house at all times, I decided to do the approximately 1-mile loop that is in the front of the house 10 times! (Yes, I just loathe multi-loop of anything - maybe except for Fruit Loops.) When I mapped it, it turned into a generous 1.011 miles per loop.

So the 10.11-mile run went off in an unimpressive 1:52:22 - 11:06 per mile. Unimpressive for me, but perfectly fine for my coach!

70% of the run is on concrete and 30% of it, along FM 2920, is on nice, soft asphalt. The concrete in my subdivision, Hannover Forest, always seems punishing. It may have also been the pair of Brooks Beast that I was running in too.

Anyways, here are the ugh! splits -- 10:46.97, 10:53.62, 11:04.23, 11:14.71, 11:19.14
11:16.55, 11:19.75, 11:28.13, 11:30.37, 11:28.81

As I was working on the fourth loop, I said to myself, "Well, half way to the minimum that I need to do." But I tried to think that these were the last 10 miles of a marathon -- 16 to 26. (And, yes, I did the math. The first 16 miles at 10 minutes per and the last 10 miles at 11 minutes per gets to 4:30, but we'll save that for later.)

The good thing? I ran the entire way.

The other reason for the slight, but steady slide is that I didn't fuel up after any loop either even though I had fluid sitting there on the truck in the driveway.

So 22.51 miles for the week after putting in 12.4 the weekend before is 36.91 miles over 8 days with 6 runs.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Keep it positive buddy. There's nothing wrong with those splits. You executed perfectly the session prescribed by your coach. Jump for joy!!! I am. WTG and keep kicking butt, Jon.

8:25 AM  
Blogger equarles said...

excellent

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joneeeee!
Last I checked, a week only contained 7 days. Leave the inflation of information to the politicians. You're not running for office, are you?

I commend you for running any distance, then writing about it. If you don't watch it, you'll be setting a pattern.

Be unique and post about your run before you even do it.


douuuuug

4:49 PM  
Blogger El Oso Furioso said...

If it makes you feel better I didn't run on your behalf on that day. In fact, I didn't even bother to muster up a weak excuse... though I did stick to my schedule.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home