Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Friday / Saturday Update

My training schedule called for 2-to-3 miles Thursday night; however, it was suggested to me that I skip it (since I did my Wednesday workout real early Thursday morning) and rest on Friday.

I did both as Friday was a travel day back from Vancouver. Normally, I would go to the gym on Friday night, but some events at home precluded that. (Thursday night, I didn't get out of the office until about 9:15 p.m. After getting to the apartment and taking care of a number of things, I went outside walked for a half hour, got a bite to eat and then walked another half hour to get out and see a little bit of the city at just after midnight.)

The plan this morning was to do Run The Woodlands 5K #162 and make my 8-to-10-mile long run tomorrow. But I forgot to plug in the timing machine that Luke's let me use from the last race, so that meant that I needed to time the race in the background (i.e. write down times). I have no problem volunteering whatsoever. So while Waverly, Susie Schreiber and Becky Issac handled registration, I got out for a 2.51-mile run on the roads that circle the trail that RTW is run on.

(I was able to map it accurately with the USATF online tool as opposed to the HARRA tool. The version of the map that the HARRA tool uses isn't either as updated or as defined in certain areas - or both.)

The schedule said something about a 12-minute per mile pace unless I'm racing, but I was just running and did it in 25:28. Which I didn't consider to be too bad finishing up at approximately 7:45 a.m. - and just before it really started to get hot.

I was asked, jokingly, of course, by the individual helping me to get ready for Houston if I was one of those runners that if they put "4 to 6 miles" on the workout that I'd do six (6) and I said, "Yes!" Well, today, I only did 2.5!

After the race, Waverly and I went to a middle school cross country meet at Cloughton Middle School and by the time we got there the 7th grade boys and girls had already run. We saw both of the 8th grade races and I got a chance to meet Waverly's math teacher (who is also the cross country coach) and her first PE teacher (who is the track coach) before her schedule was switched around. It was continued good exposure for her if she wants to run for her school next year (and she actually asked to go to it).

We got a bite to eat at Paul's Pizza Shop at Kuykendahl and 2920 and we're heading to my niece's birthday party here shortly. More later!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
Really inspriring stuff! I'm so proud of you for doing 2.5 miles instead of 4-6 miles.

And you've posted twice in 3 days about your schedule and your running.

How DO you do it? Stick with it, dude.


douuug

1:43 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Forgive me. I forgot to put that the schedule only said 2-3 miles on the other weekend day! LOL

Jon

3:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is so awesome. Jon, don't let Doug give you a hard time. Oh, never mind. I think I started it.

I know Waverly will do awesome at whatever she tries.

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home