Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The First of 80

I woke up early this morning to find in my e-mail box the first four (4) weeks of my plan to try and get to 4:30 in the Chevron Houston Marathon next January. And before I rolled out of bed, the first day - Monday - I was already successful because it said, "Off!" How's that for a positive spin! :)

Actually, I was pretty excited. I thought about things during the day. I'm sure a lot of you are reading and wondering, "Why now? Why not earlier?" Well, I've had the opportunity to do so in the past, but I just wasn't ready to receive it - or listen. I've said all along that I'm a "do-it-myselfer."

I think the big thing here for me is that if I have somebody that will set out a structured plan with knowledge of how to get me to where I want to be, it is incumbent on me to follow it to the best of my ability. And on any other night before 10 p.m. here, I would have rolled over and gone to bed. But I had a schedule. I had somebody that put time into thinking about how to get me there. Guess what? Time to go do it!

I also figure that if I do five (5) runs a week, which has been unheard of for me all of this time, for the next 16 weeks, I'll have put in 80 runs before "Marathon Day".

The schedule for today said, "2-3 miles, 11 min per mile pace. Aerobic run. RPE: 3."

What does '3' mean? It was communicated to me that '3' meant -- "Moderate: Easy run, sweating, can still hold conversation." Hmmm ... Tonight's run was fairly easy. My legs still felt a little dead, but I think a little of it was the shoes too. I'm not sure if I picked up an older pair of Brooks Beast or not. I perspired a lot and I could have chit-chatted most of the time.

On a run like this, I'm wondered to myself how I felt so comfortable Saturday and Sunday racing pretty hard and not the same tonight.

Everyone has seen my comments about running for 2-to-3 miles. Really, it's tough for me to do. Actually when I feel that way, I should just do (when I'm home) the Run The Woodlands 5K course - and go home!

So what did I do? I figured 20 minutes out and come back in. The official numbers were as follows:

Out -- 19:42.61
Back -- 21:04.32

No surprise that there was a gap on the return because the last 7-to-9 minutes is a slight incline back to the apartment (enough to know that it is there). And on this route, which I ran, it was just a shade under 2 miles. So that means that I ran a little bit faster than what I was supposed to, but I wasn't trying. Really.

There's some other roots that I need to get back to and one of those resonates in the following verse, "I can do all things through Christ who strengths me." (Phillipians 4:13)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Careful, Jon. By posting your workouts, you're giving away the identity of this mystery coach. I knew who it was after paragraphs 5 and 6. I won't tell.

6:52 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Vic, lots of coaches use formal nomenclature - especially if they are educating as well. :)

You surely know that! :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Now that I've set my sights on a half ironman around April, I've been thinking about paying for a coach. I find that I work better if I've got someone telling me what to do. No chance for second guessing myself that way!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool Jon, 4:30 is a good target.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home