Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, September 18, 2006

What I'm Listening To ...

Some of my fellow Houston Running Bloggers spice up their blogs with music that they're listening to while running - or doing other activities.

And as many of you know, I like country music as much (if not more) as I like running.

Some of my favorite songs on the radio these days are George Strait's "Give It Away", The Wreckers' "Leave The Pieces", Sugarland's "Want To", Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" and Jack Ingram's "Love You".

There are three (3) songs that hit particularly close to home. The first is a song that is #12 on the charts and is from a new group called "Heartland" and their current hit, "I Loved Her First". The second is Tim McGraw's latest at #31, which I heard for the first time tonight driving towards the U.S./Canada border, called "My Little Girl."

The one that isn't on the charts yet, but is getting a lot of airplay is the latest from Sara Evans. It's called "You'll Always Be My Baby", but the first verse of the song always brings a few tears to my eyes (especially when I'm away from home). If you've ever seen me out with the "red headed princess", you'll understand when you read these lyrics:

There I was ten years old
Waiting in my room for him to come home
I just knew he'd be so mad
Though I begged my mother not to, she told my dad.
There was no denying I let him down
But instead of being angry
He put his arms around me and said

In the sunlight or the rain brightest nights or darkest days
I'll always feel the same way
Whatever road you may be on
Know you're never too far gone
My love is there wherever you may be
Just remember that you will always be my baby.

Actually, though, I can honestly say that that scenario in the song has never happened at my house with my daughter. However, it did happen without the same results when I was growing up - and it was something that I vowed to do different when I became a father. :)

Now for a bonus point or two, what country song from the past started out with the words, "When I became a father ...."?

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bezner said...

A Love Without End, Amen - George Strait. Although I think it starts out about getting a shiner, so maybe it's not it.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love that song!

8:07 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I knew June was the country fan, but I didn't know that Steve was.

You're right. It does start out "I got sent home from school one day with a shiner on my eye ..."

9:28 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

I don't like country but my dad does and he wants to use that Heartland song for our father/daughter dance at my wedding....

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know enough of the lyrics to be able to answer that one, I just knew it wasn't a Michael Jackson song.


doug

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home