Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Training

Everybody has been complimenting Vic Kaiser about his eyes in the picture from Run The Woodlands 5K about a month ago, but he should also be noted as being "eagle eyed" and "inquisitive".

I made a reference in my 5K race report from Sunday about having somebody help me come up with a plan to try and get to 4:30 in the marathon. And I personally know I have to change a lot of things to do that! Vic asked in the comment of the post who the individual was. I was going to respond in the comment; however, I felt like I should make a separate post.

My agreement with the individual is that I plan to not disclose anything in case I can't stick to the schedule that they put out there for me. Because I don't want that person to be viewed upon negatively if I fail.

I have too much respect for the person - for their knowledge and simply as a friend to even have them linked with somebody failing.

The individual has a challenge because I like to race a lot (and it is where I gain a lot of information from people that way ... i.e. it aids my ability to put together a good Footprints product and RTN column) and my travel.

My biggest challenges, I think, are consistency, moderation and planning.

The individual agrees that I need to get my half time down to that 2:02-2:04 range to have a shot given my penchant for sliding in the back half by about 10% - but we might be able to change that.

My goal for Saturday in the 15K was to run as steady as I possibly could throughout the race - and I honestly believe I succeeded at that. If I can run that steady - and the weather cooperates, the next standard that could fall is my 1:41:42.8 in a 10-Miler.

What's cool about this entire process is that I have a lot of you out there pulling for me to be able to do it. 4:30 is a big nut to crack, and quite frankly, it may be too much to expect to drop from 4:47:32. But look at where I came from to where I am today. It is a long way and it could be even longer -- it just depends on how bad I want it.

I e-mailed a good friend of mine this weekend, Whitney LaRocca, and asked her what her marathon PR was. She said that it was in Houston and it was 4:34:09. Whitney really had a nice Austin Marathon like I did -- and she confessed after meeting each other at the finish that she really didn't want for me to beat her (and I didn't!).

So there you have it! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Come on! Who is it?!
Your gender neutrality makes me think it's a woman. Am I on the right track?

I think you could manage another 17 minutes off your marathon PR. And the greatness of your word verification word suggests the same (ofojoi).

Keith.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keith let it be, ok? LOL!!!

Ok, Jon, that's fine. I understand where you're coming from. That's why I haven't told anybody that I already registered for the full Houston marathon. Because if I don't tell anybody, then when I switch to the half, no one will think I failed. Ooops, guess the cat's out of the bag. I'll just have to do the full I guess.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home