Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, October 27, 2006

RTW 5K #165 to Benefit 3-Year-Old Hans Weberling

Saturday, November 11, 2006, 8:00 a.m.
Run The Woodlands 5K #165, Barbara Bush Elementary, The Woodlands, TX

All monies from the race will go to the family of Hans Weberling, who is the 3-year-old son of Woodlands Fit runner Lara Weberling. This effort is being spearheaded by Beth Whitehead and Luke's Locker The Woodlands store manager Susie Schreiber informed this evening that everything was a "go" to donate all monies to the family.

Beth wrote the following on Wednesday for the Woodlands Fit newsletter --

"One of our runners, Lara Weberling got some horrible news this weekend. Her little boy, Hans, who is only 3, has cancer. Being the mother of two young ones, this really hits too close to home for me. I haven't spoken with Lara directly but apparently he had a mass that was misdiagnosed as an infection.

"This weekend, she took him to the ER to only find out after a biopsy that not only was it a cancerous mass, but that it had spread to his liver. Today, I found out it maybe in his bone marrow as well. I am not sure what Lara needs at this time but if any of you would be interested in doing something for their family please let me know.

"Lara teaches at my children's pre-school and now with Hans being in the hospital, I am sure she will not be returning. I really do not know how this will affect their family financially. I will keep you all updated on little Hans. Please keep him in your prayers tonight! If you have children, thank God for that and be thankful that they are healthy, give them an extra little kiss tonight, and never for one single second take them for granted!"

As I receive more information, I will pass it along!

If you've already planned on doing another 5K in town that day (as there are at least four races), it is completely understandable for you to support those causes. However, if you are thinking about one and you haven't registered for one, give this situation your utmost consideration and do what you can over and above the $1 entry fee.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All The Woodlands TNT groups and Luke's runners will be there in support of the Weberling family.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home