Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Sunmart Invited Runner Pre-Race Profiles Part #1

As I lined out on Sunday, thanks to Sunmart race publicist (and Inside Texas Running columnist) John Welch, trail runners this week can get an early glimpse here at "Houston Running" of the backgrounds of some of the top invited runners that will race next Saturday, December 9th in Huntsville State Park.

Eric Bindner, 50, Colorado, (50-Mile)
Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Runs 50-Mile, 2005, 7th
Sunmart 50-Mile, 2004, 5th
Turquoise Lake 20-Mile Snowshoe Run, 2006, 4th
Copperman Mountain Marathon, 2006, 1st
Zane Gray 50-Mile Trail Race, 2006, 1st master
Leadville 100, 2006, 1st master

Thoughts on Sunmart: “Some people think of ultra running as obsessive. I disagree! Running ultras requires a unique blend of stretching what we may think of as our physical and mental limits. For me, running trails, especially above timberline, can be almost magical in the way that I can totally lose track of time and distance. Sunmart is the place to be in December! It's a place to compete against top ultra runners from all over the world, yet it's a race that makes runners of all abilities feel very welcome. No one puts on a better race than Sunmart.”

Greg Crowther, 33, Washington (50-Mile)
Vancouver International Marathon, 2006, 3rd
World Cup 100K in Lake Saroma, Japan, 2005, 20th/3rd American
White River 50-Mile, 2005, 3rd

Thoughts on ultrarunning: “To me, one of the remarkable things about ultramarathoners is the extent to which most of them encourage and support each other. It's as if the ordeal of running 30, 50, or 100 miles drains the competitive instincts right out of them, leaving only sympathy and admiration for their fellow athletes. As a relative newcomer to ultras, I have yet to fully understand this altruism. During a race, if I've already run 30+ miles, I become more protective of my ranking and time, not less so; my attitude, childish though it may be, is: "I've worked hard to reach this position, and nobody's going to take it away from me!" After the race, I'm simply too exhausted to cheer for others with genuine enthusiasm. Perhaps someday I'll become less selfish. In the meantime, though, if I have to out kick my mother for the overall win, well, sorry, Mom, but you're going down and that's all there is to it.”

Scott Eppelman, 40, Texas, (50-Mile)
Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Runs 50-Mile, 2004, 4th
Sunmart 50K, 2003, 5th
Sunmart 50-Mile, 2002, 4th
IAU 24-Hour World Challenge, Taipei, Taiwan, 2006, 44th place with 117.66-miles
Sulphur Springs 100 Mile, 2006, 1st place

Thoughts on running Sunmart: “Sunmart always feels to me like a blend of the best of old & new in ultrarunning. The "old" part is the homecoming atmosphere, with so many friends from all over to see among the runners. Also, I get to relive memories of my first Sunmart (1996), which was my first big ultra. Back then Texas was a big, faraway place, not my home state. What's new are the improvements in the race each year, and seeing new faces and up-and-coming stars in the ultra world. With its history, Sunmart bridges the past and future of our great sport.”

Coming on Tuesday: Connie Gardner, Mark Godale and Jim Harrington

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home