Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Time Trial Tuesday

Waverly's former school, Abercrombie Academy, was holding its "practice" 1-mile run for all grades today at Meyer Park on Cypresswood Drive.

After my 7:30 a.m. visit with the chiropractor (where it looks like things are holding in place with the adjustments that are being made to my hip and back), I took Waverly there so that she could see a couple of her former teachers, Mrs. White and Mrs. Slaughter (who is training to run the Aramco Houston Half Marathon) -- and run with the fifth graders.

We jogged a little bit to warm up and before we got started, I asked her if she wanted to try and hit an 11-minute mile. (I thought for sure that her 10:19 PR from March 24 was out of the question.) She agreed and I told her that she was going to need to hit 2:45 per quarter mile to meet the goal.

Nothing real spectactular about the run. She didn't like it. It hurt, but I give her a lot of credit. She hit the target -- 10 minutes and 54 seconds!

Her splits looked like this -- 2:34.62, 2:48.62, 2:53.61 and 2:37.65 (estimate) to get to 10:54.50.

I continued on the finish the 1.33-mile loop as I had plans to get in three (3) loops this morning.

When I got to the start of the second loop, I didn't have designs of doing a time trial of my own. However, when I hit the first quarter mile in 2:28, I thought I'd give it a try.

Although I'm not pleased with the times of the two (2) 1-mile time trials, I was pleased with the pacing of each mile. I negative-split each quarter mile in each mile.

TT #1 -- 2:28.54, 2:28.21, 2:23.56 and 2:16.82 - 9:37.13 (followed by 3:14.41 for next .33)
TT #2 -- 2:36.82, 2:34.77, 2:31.64 and 2:25.32 - 10:08.55 (followed by 3:04.64 for next .33)

Last year at this point, I was at about 8:50 and 9:20 in back-to-back miles.

4 miles all together today was 40:34.14. Not happy about it, but I'll give it my best shot on Thursday morning at Run Thru The Woods 5-Miler.

My 5-mile PR is 47:06.7 at the 2nd annual Hermann Park Conservancy Park to Park Run on February 19, 2005.

My times at Run Thru The Woods have gotten progressively better, but it will be a major push to improve this year. My times are as follows:

2003 -- 1:00:08.8
2004 -- 49:45.1
2005 -- 48:21.3

Speaking of the event on Thursday morning, stop by and see The Woodlands Running Club in the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion before and after the race. Many thanks to TWHS cross country coach Dan Green for buying it for the club. Don Cole and Chevron Houston Marathon local invited runner Jim Braden will be manning the tent.

By the 2007-2008 HARRA Series, the TWRC tent will regularly be seen among the likes of Bayou City, the Striders, the Tornados, Al Lawrence, Bay Area and Terlingua.

The north side of the greater Houston area - notwithstanding the Seven Hills Running Club in Walker County in Huntsville - has long been underserved since the departure of the FM 1960 Roadrunners and the Texas Running Club.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home