Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Thursday Workout / BBQ Run With Waverly

Late in the afternoon, I got to Bally's in The Woodlands and logged an hour on the elliptical trainer (4.96 miles, level 16, random) and 50 minutes on the stationery bike (level 6, random).

After coming back and getting a shower, Waverly and I went and got some BBQ in what I thought would be far enough ahead than not to mess with things on the run. (I guess that I'll have to adjust my lead time out another hour or so. About midway through, I started to get a little light-headed.)

So at 9:15 p.m., we started our regular 2.1-mile loop around the subdivision. I wanted to try and push things a little bit faster than Tuesday night without specifically trying to do any strides or intervals with her.

We got on the street the farthest from the house and I felt like we were lagging it a little bit. (At the same time, I'm thinking that I'm going to be in trouble for Saturday's Willis Wildkat 5K; however, I was also thinking that I could easily do another long run in the 11-minute range without any problem.) Anyways, I told her that we needed to start to pick it up and for her to try and stay with me.

When I heard her breathing almost get to a point that I thought she might stop and walk, I backed off slightly but still kept things moving.

We got down to two turns to go and I saw that we were in the 20-minute area. I hadn't pre-done what a pace to beat her 35:56 5K PR would be, but I thought we were close.

I tried to pick it up without totally knocking her - or me - out. She responded.

She finished the 2.1 miles in 24:24 which is a pace of 11:37 per mile - or, if she could hold it, a 5K time of 36:05. She did great! For those of you with kids, you'll understand the feeling when they push and stretch themselves and see the benefit of what they're doing.

We won't do anything at all tomorrow, plus she has a basketball game Saturday morning at 10 a.m. Our next run will be on Sunday (maybe 4 at a very relaxed conversational pace) - as long as I'm in town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home