Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Something Just Wasn't Right Last Weekend

When Waverly and I were leaving the Expo on Saturday, one of the things that I noticed in the finish line area, while it was being setup, was the VIP seating.

Cynically speaking, you have to wonder how much sponsorship monies - or if there were some that went for sale - went up with that?

But with the changes in the start line, the corrals, the construction in the park area in front of the George R. Brown Convention Center, I realized that an annual pre-race tradition that I had was probably going to go by the wayside.

And that was always meeting up with a friend - public address announcer J. Fred Duckett.

I thought it was strange that he wasn't at the press conference on Friday morning like I had seen him there the year before. (I figured the Awty International School, where he's a teacher, would have let him off a day.)

I really didn't think too much about it when we were standing in the corrals and I heard a very clear, strong female voice. (I mentioned earlier that my head wasn't completely in the day. Maybe there's something to turning 40.) At times, I thought her delivery was a little bit strong or "over the top" - as if she didn't really know anything about the sport.

J. Fred, of course, is one of the Southwest's foremost track and field authorities and is the long-time public address announcer of the Texas Relays in Austin.

But I really became curious as Waverly and I made our way down Rusk Avenue.

I noticed that the timing mat, 100 yards or so in front of the finish line, was new. (It can be a nice touch, at a smaller event, to have your name called out - when it is only you. This instead of trying to rapid fire call multiple names.)

Then I recognized that the voice definitely wasn't that of J. Fred's. (And I couldn't pick up on who it belonged to.)

I was beat though plus I didn't have a good run at all. So I asked Waverly later on in the evening at home if she heard J. Fred earlier - thinking that he might have gone home (and let somebody take over) - and she said that the male voice definitely wasn't him.

Well, it appears that the Marathon did what the Astros and Rice Owls basketball did too many years ago and told J. Fred that his services were no longer needed.

It's a shame. It is a position that I aspired to - as I've had the chance to do public address announcing in a couple of D-1 facilities - when J. Fred decided that he no longer wanted to do it.

I certainly feel different about it now.

While J. Fred is often best known for his "Jose Cruuuuuuz!" call as the Astros public address announcer, he is also in a class of P.A. guys - like Mark Seegers at the University of Houston - who didn't see themselves as part of the "show".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed J. Fred's announcing too. I have fond memories of his voice during Rice games back in the late 70s.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home