Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Waverly's Houston Press 5K Race Report

I've had a couple of e-mails asking how the "red headed princess" did on Sunday. (Well, that is at least what I call her.)

I've actually delayed writing this not because that I want the post to come out a certain way, but I wanted to handle the entire subject appropriately. (As you read on, I hope you'll understand, especially those of you who know me well.)

First things first, Waverly finished the 5K in 36 minutes, 54 seconds - for a pace of 11:52 per mile!

If you were looking at her performance strictly from a numbers perspective, one could say that it was her third best 5K ever - just 59 seconds off of her PR - and that it was a dramatic same course improvement from two years ago. (The latter would appear that I was trying to spin something - but I'm not. Just the stat guy approach!)

People might think that I delayed the post because I was disappointed that she didn't reach her PR! In fact, it is the farthest thing from the truth. My wife and I always tell Waverly that we're more concerned about the effort than the outcome. She's been blessed with a decent amount of intelligence and ability to make good grades in school - and she did everything that was asked of her getting ready for this event. (And at the same time, like last year, I'm hesitant as far as her doing too much because she's a youngster and she's growing -- plus she's got the same body type, I think, as me. Last year's half marathon was a one-time or "on an occasion" deal.)

As far as Waverly's race went on Sunday, her splits were 11:40, 11:56 and the last 1.1 miles came in at 12:05 pace (13:18 total) for a 36:54 total (and 11:52 pace).

Her pacer commented that she "displayed perseverance that some people take a lifetime to develop" and that her effort "was very admirable, and sometimes these are the type of races we actually learn more from."

I don't know what took place out on the course and, honestly, that is between the two of them. (Sort of the motto that Waverly and I have an agreement on, "What happens on the course stays on the course.") Although my wife asked Waverly's pacer if she got some of the same responses from her as the two of us had over time and she laughed!

She also commented that the "two 'inclines' were definitely tough (and oh so familiar!)."

Hmm ... that would imply that her pacer had a little knowledge of the course.

In fact, she did. Her pacer won the 2004 Race For The Pennant 5K in a time of 17:30.6 -- which is run on much of the same course -- a time that would have won yesterday's 5K.

But the reason why I want to handle this post the right way is that her pacer really is a classy and humble individual that, despite her ability and hard work, doesn't shine the spotlight on herself at all.

In what is always an emotional time for Waverly and I before a race, especially at the Marathon, I asked her to give it her all as I told her that she probably had the best help on the course o Sunday of reaching her goal - with the exception of Daniel Cheriuyot and some of the U.S. Athlete Development Project runners (who had pacers at various times to reach the qualifying standards).

When I posted on this blog that I was looking for somebody to pace Waverly in the sea of people that is the 5K at the marathon (to give her a clear shot at her PR), Kim Hager of The Woodlands volunteered for the opportunity.

I was so stunned that it took me most of the day to formulate a response to Kim's e-mail.

Why was I stunned?

Only because Kim is a "professional triathlete" aside from being a wife and a mom to two girls - and that she qualified for the U.S. Olympic Trials at Houston in 2004 and ran in them a few months later in St. Louis.

In fact, before I even said anything to Waverly, I had asked her if she was willing to do everything possible to try and hit the goal. And she said that she would. I wanted her to -- as well as me -- appreciate the opportunity that she was being given.

But I really already knew of Kim's integrity as a person and a coach.

I had - at Bill Dwyer's invitation - the chance to spend many weeks around their working with runners who had signed up for Luke's Locker's Beat programs. I can speak from first-hand experience - being out at the track the weeks that I was home - that they really get emotionally involved in the athletes that they are coaching - and without ever looking for anything in return (other than a good effort.)

All of this, plus a few other examples, is why I never publicly posted that Kim had agreed to help her on race day - and before - attempt to reach her goal.

I think the moral to the entire story is that -- Waverly did super and that my family is appreciative of the opportunities that we've been given! She would have liked things to have been a little colder like me, but there's always another race on another day.

Waverly could very well not be out there pushing herself and very happily could have been out there cheering me (and others) on or volunteering - and simply had fun. However, she wanted to be a part of the experience on "race day" like everyone else did!

Plus what I hadn't posted on here from last week was the fact that she hurt herself a little bit on Monday at school in PE as they were starting gymnastics. She did a front roll and when she came through, the way she landed ... she ended up in tears at school.

She went and saw the chiropractor on Tuesday - while I was up here in Vancouver - before getting in her normal 2 miles and change (which she went ahead and did at the track.) Her time wasn't what it had been on previous Tuesday nights. In fact, the pace she ran that night would have projected to be a 38:21 5K, I believe. Then she had done six (6) laps at school earlier that day - or another day last week - that was a little bit faster.

She had called me that night and I could tell she was a little disappointed, but as above, I'm just happy that there are things that she enjoys doing and has fun with!

Did all of this put any more pressure on Waverly? I don't think so.

I do know that in talking with her that she finds certain things "neat" or "cool" plus she knows that she's loved unconditionally. Which is the most important thing of all. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

WAY TO GO, WAVERLY!!!

You did so great!!! Everyone is so proud of you. Keep up the good work and keep having fun.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last few months have been a lot of fun with the Beat runners, TNT runners, and the several guests we've enjoyed the company of Saturday mornings and Tuesday nights. I am very happy that you and Waverly have joined us for many of the workouts......and very happy for Waverly to have spent time with Kim.

Waverly did great !

I talked to Steve Boone quite a bit Saturday as our booths were next to each other at the expo. Steve who, as you know has run several hundred marathons, says its all about having fun. Yes, the occasional PR is sweet, but the reason we do this is the friendships we develop and the fun along the way.

Waverly didn't get her PR but she had fun and had a pretty cool experience running with Kim. She also got something more, a new circle of friends to come run with anytime she wants.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Awesome job Waverly! You kicked butt yet again.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You already know I am Waverly's #2 fan (after you of course!)....she's great kid!! Nice work on the race course!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home