Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Good To Be Home

After two weeks away, gone for work in Vancouver, British Columbia, it is always good to be home! (It didn't use to be, but I'd prefer not to go into those details.)

The fatigue and malaise of work and being, well, a bit lonely when I'm gone just really doesn't put me in a mood to do the things that I need to exercise-wise sometimes when I'm away. And this last weekend, I had plans to go down to Bainbridge Island, Washington to run a half marathon on Saturday before doing the Vancouver Sun Run 10K on Sunday. However, they got blown out of the water with some issues at work that required us to work on Saturday.

So this evening, I made it to the gym to get an hour in on the elliptical machine at Bally's in The Woodlands. Then after going to get something to eat with Waverly, we both did 4.1 miles on our bicycles. (I was going to go another loop or two, but some folks pulled in our street that would have seen Waverly going into the house by herself so I went in.)

The two of played a game of darts in the garage before she retired for the evening. (I think it might have been the first time that we've ever played before. I beat her ... 504-322. Like anything else, she'll get better.)

We're both heading down to Webster in the morning to help Sarah Graybeal with her Yuri's Night 5K event. It is the third year for the event and I was able to help Sarah last year. (It is where I got to meet her boyfriend, Jose, for the first time.)

And the two of us will run it together.

She ran at school on Monday and then at the track on Tuesday.

Monday was a mile and a half - 2.51.87, 3.13.64, 3.29.39, 3.38.97, 3.39.85, 3.00.07.

Tuesday, she had her Mom take her to the track where the Luke's Locker Beat program in The Woodlands does one of their group weekly workouts. The idea was for her to go and run two (2) miles and hang out with Bill Dwyer, Rick Cook and Kim Hager. All three of these individuals would do anything for you without thinking about "what's in it for me?"

So when I called back to Houston I found out that she went early and did the two miles by herself because she wanted to watch something on TV that night. (I suspect American Idol, but I don't know for sure.) Here was the report I got via e-mail, as I was working and she went to bed early for TAKS testing last week:

"Tonight i did it in a total of 23.36 for 2 miles. here are my splits.

1=2.37.93
2=2.42.05
3=3.00.24
4=3.12.44
5=5.55.24
6=3.00.83
7=3.08.03

Number 5 is equal to two laps around. on my watch my one mile was 11:32.

I love you

Waverly"

A note like that certainly made the evening go better! ;)

I had a good report from Bill when he sent me an e-mail and said, "Waverly looked good last night at the track. I don’t know how far she ran as she was already running when I got there."

So, we'll see how tomorrow morning goes - and have some fun helping a good friend of ours!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks to both you and Waverly for your help this morning, and congrats to her on the age group award! :)

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home