Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Apple Blossom Half Marathon Race Report

State #15. Check.

But it didn't come without a little of self-inflicted drama - and the fact that it was getting close to me missing the start.

I read the directions on the web site of the Apple Blossom Half Marathon, located in Hastings, Minnesota, as well as doing a Mapquest search on it. Mapquest returned something like 20 miles and 25 minutes. Well, of course, never believing that, I decided to leave the hotel at 6:15 a.m. for an 8:00 a.m. start.

Instead of looking at the Hertz map that I had, I looked at one online that said to take state highway 77, which was down Interstate 35E, to state highway 55 and then go east. (Well, writing this report, I can see on the map that highway 55 is NORTH of me - instead of south.)

I don't know where I ended up at; however, a cute blonde standing outside of a Marathon gas station (that she worked at) smoking a Pall Mall gave me directions to "go up 3, until you get to 42 and it turns into 55 and takes you right on into Hastings." (I know it sounds like a country and western song.)

She was right. I made it there, while running low on gas (a quick $10-12 drip - enough to get a couple of gallons in), and registered at 7:40 a.m. (maybe 7:45). I caught the school bus, with everyone else, out to the start - at another park - where all three events (the 5K, 10K, and the half marathon) headed off in different directions at the sound of one gun!

Today, it was even cooler and just as windy as it had been in Fargo the day before, but at least it didn't rain. (If the forecast had called for that, I would have brought gloves. It was the only thing that I probably didn't plan for - and it got cold. Which, from a running perspective, isn't a bad thing.)

The event was very down-to-earth and was experiencing its 22nd running this year. However, the mile markers left a LOT to be desired even though they had more than enough water stations (only one - hmmm, maybe two now that I think about it - with Powerade) staffed by a lot of very friendly people.

Mile 1 -- 10:17:66
Mile 2 -- 10:48.17 (this had an uphill)
Mile 3 -- 10:31.22 (here was a good bit of the downhill)
Mile 4 -- 11:49.56 (huh?)
Mile 5 -- 8:24.20 (51:50.81; alright 4 was long and 5 was short)
Mile 6 -- 14:50.51 (1:06:41.32; it took 22 years for the course to get off this much?)
Mile 7 -- 11:02.93 (1:17:44.25)
Mile 8 -- 11:07.15 (1:28:51.40)
Mile 9 -- 10:26.09 (1:39:17.49)
Mile 10 -- 12:26.41 (1:51:43.90; 9 was short and 10 was long. Why? Because I opened up a lead on four other runners during this mile and I was running my hardest of the race.)
Mile 11 -- 11:15.56 (2:02:59.46)
Mile 12 -- 11:56.91 (2:14:56.37)
Mile 13 -- 10:40.26 (2:25:36.63)
Last .1 -- 1:09.71 (2:26:46.34)

This course had about as much roll to it as Washington County near Brenham - and it just kept coming and coming. A couple of places we actually went off the asphalt country roads and on to some gravel roads. (That gave me good practice about running in a straight line to stay on where one of the tire treads had been. Why? There was no gravel there!)

I've done a number of other races like this. Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (half marathon) and Battleground, Washington (10-miler) are two that came to mind while out on the course. Very tranquil and scenic. Just you the cows and the apples!

I wasn't disappointed in my time given that 1.) I had run a half marathon yesterday, 2.) the course was hilly and 3.) it was long.

I almost caught a guy and his daughter and I knew from the first two miles that he had a Garmin 201 on. When we crossed the finish line, me right after them, I asked him what he had for distance and he said 13.22 miles.

They gave away a very nice wicking shirt, which will come to me by mail for all of the race day registrants. (Fargo also gave away a draw bag and a nice long-sleeved wicking shirt, albeit black. Not too good for Houston except in the winter.)

Good trip, all in all!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good sow on both Half Marathons.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home