Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Monday Update: Waverly and Injury (Mine)

First things first, Ms. Waverly!

Earlier this evening, at an Awards Ceremony at her middle school, each teacher gave an Outstanding Student Award to one of their students.

During our trip to Fort Worth and Oklahoma City the weekend before last, she told me that her Math teacher was going to be giving Waverly hers.

When I got to Vancouver on Monday, I had an e-mail from her World Cultures teacher that said that she had selected Waverly as her Outstanding Student. I had to do a little double checking to make sure that it wasn't the same one twice. However I quickly confirmed that it wasn't because her World Cultures teacher said that she wanted it to be a surprise to Waverly.

When Waverly called me this evening, as she was going home from the ceremony, she had an additional surprise for me!

In her sixth grade, they are divided into two families - Family 1 and Family 2.

Of all of the sixth grade students in her middle school Family, she was the ONLY one to have made all A's and just one B through the first five semesters. I asked her if anybody made all A's and she said, "No." Wow! (She later explained that there were four students in the other Family that got all A's and six that got all A's and one B.)

We've had Waverly in private school the last six years (K plus 1-5). Therefore, I was pretty certain that she was capable of excelling in the public school. However, to be one of the top 10-11 students in her grade is pretty impressive so I felt compelled to brag a little bit on her! (She was one of the top three of her class of 17 last year.)

Next Monday night, I get treated to see her sing a solo at a choir concert at Spring High School. (Well, this has changed too! It will be at their school, but a performance nonetheless.)

Now for the lighter side of things.

You've heard in the past about major league baseball pitchers going on the disabled list because they hurt themselves trying to tear a phone book in half. Well, I wasn't looking to dial any numbers; however, as I was getting dressed Sunday morning just before I was ready to leave the hotel in Spokane, I rammed my right foot into the hard plastic on the bottom of my suitcase.

It was one of those instances where there was like a second or two delay between knowing that I had nailed it pretty good and then the pain kicking in. When I finally checked into the Residence Inn here in downtown Vancouver last night, and took off my shoes and socks, my right pinky was red, swollen and starting to bruise.

We have a nurse on our project and she doesn't think that I've broken it, but I'm having to keep it elevated as much as I can. And, of course, it hurts a little bit to have a shoe on.

1 Comments:

Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Way to go Waverly! Ouch, hope your toe gets better Jon!

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home