Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Fort Worth Zoo Run Run 10K Race Report

It is time once again for those crazy feats that I pull off - and have a little fun with!

Earlier this morning, Waverly and I left Spring at a little after 2 a.m. to drive to Fort Worth so that I could participate in the Fort Worth Zoo Run Run 10K, which started at 7 a.m. (Yes, I'm still missing a Resurrection Run 5K report and a Vancouver Sun Run 10K report. More on that in a minute.)

An excellent event with a pretty good course, with a couple of short hills in miles 2 and 5, that actually does run through the Zoo in the first mile! Pretty interesting. No wild animals loose though.

How did I do? Well, I'm not back where I want to be, but I'm on my way getting there.

It isn't the time that I would have hoped for (which was maybe to get back under 1:02), but it was 1:03:16.28, according to my watch. (Official chip was 1:03:14.5.) And it was an improvement from two weeks ago at the Vancouver Sun Run 10K, where I went 1:03:44. But maybe it isn't because of the two bridges there. Who knows? And to some, who cares?!

Most of the water stops were just beyond the mile markers, which I like. The course was marked and managed pretty well despite their being a lot of traffic in the area because the Zoo is also close to Texas Christian University. Here are the splits:

Mile 1 -- 9:53.63
Mile 2 -- 10:24.45 (20:18.08)
Mile 3 -- 10:08.63 (30:26.71)
Mile 4 -- 10:05.75 (40:32.46)
Mile 5 -- 10:33.52 (51:05.98)
Mile 6 -- 10:11.90 (1:01:18.88)
Last .2 -- 1:58.40

Overall -- 1:03:16.28

During mile 1, there was the first mile marker and I hit my watch and saw, "9:08.81". I thought to myself, "That was pretty easy for that time." No sooner had I thought that, there was another marker for the mile 1 marker to the 10K! So my first mile was really 9:53.63.

Other than not making decent time on the short uphills, my 10K pace right now is really about a 1:02 and change (which I know will come by getting the miles in.)

In mile 6, I passed a couple of runners, who were fading more than me. One was a cute blonde, who on the waistband of the back of her shorts (yes .. it was on the outside!) it read, "Just Do It!" So I did my best to. :)

We traveled north after that, got breakfast in Gainesville (where time is a bit slower there) and made our way into Oklahoma City this afternoon.

I'm running the Oklahoma City Memorial Half Marathon. I thought for just a little bit about doing the marathon, but I decided not to.

We got to meet Bill Rodgers and Dick Beardsley (again for me on both and the first time for Waverly.) I told Dick that I met him at the ING New York City Marathon and he told me then about finishing second in Houston two years in a row. He said he remembered, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. I spoke a little bit to Bill about his run in Alpharetta, Georgia last month where he ran a 7:46/per mile pace at age 60 in a good, tough half marathon.

We also saw former Olympic gymnast Shannon Miller and 1984 U.S. Olympic women's gold medal winner in the marathon, Joan Benoit Samuelson.

Both Bill and Dick signed posters for Waverly! Pretty cool!

I visited at length with Jan Nierling from the Chevron Houston Marathon, who was manning their booth at the Expo. I'm looking forward to providing her once again this year information for the event's media guide.

Tomorrow's half marathon will be my 13th state!

And the Vancouver Sun Run 10K race report? Well, it will appear in the May edition of The Woodlands Running Club's new newsletter, "Deer Tracks." Editor Bill Dwyer tells me that we're going to have an edition of 15-20 pages this month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home